Cap on cmos input?

Gadersd

Joined Dec 8, 2012
It it common to place a cap on a long input on a CMOS ic. If so what size cap should I use? The wire will be approximately 5 feet long at max.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
A cap can absorb induces transients, but not quickly. Also, it slows down the transition edges of the logic signal. If that's ok, especially with a resistor in series with the cap, then it is very low cost protection. For protection with way better speed, use two Shottkey diodes, one to Vdd and one to Vee. Faster clamping and almost no capacitive loading.

ak

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I shook my Magic 8 ball, and it said "Reply hazy, try again". So I did.

Then is said, "Without a doubt," followed by "Outlook not so good" on the third try.

You did not provide nearly the amount of information required to answer a question like this.

What is the 5 foot wire attached to?
Is it analog or digital?
What is the frequency range of signals you are trying to input/capture?
What is the environment in which the device is used?
Are you having any problems with your current design? If so, what?

Provide a schematic of what you are trying to do, please.

Gadersd

Joined Dec 8, 2012
It is a digital signal that is attached to the output of another cmos chip. The frequency is approximately 1000 hz.

Gadersd

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I do not need the cap for protection, but for smoothing the potentially noisy cmos input. No, there is no Schmitt trigger input.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Which IC is the receiver? Slugging the signal with a cap may make it unsuitable for clocking any IC which relies on a sharp pulse edge.