Home made PCB reliability

ayushextreme

Joined Apr 10, 2014
Hi,

I made a couple of PCBs using toner transfer method. After I assembled the parts and soldered it to the pads, when i touch the components with a little force, the pads came off and the component starts shaking. Is it the problem of the copper clad board or is it because I used a 1mm bit to drill the holes so there was no friction between the component lead and the board?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Could be low quality clad material/adhesive..
could be you overheated it when soldering. <--probably

pad lifting is fairly common with boards without plated through holes as the only thing holding that pad down is the adhesive on that side.. And once you destroy the adhesive the pad will lift.

Welcome to the world of DIY PCB's..

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Perhaps the annular ring (the donut of metal) was too small to support the force. It is best to mount the part flush with the board, and bend the leads a bit to snug it doen before you start soldering. Solder asghould never be used for mechanical support anyway, and this way you keep force off the pad.

Seeing a picture of the failure would also help us help you.

ayushextreme

Joined Apr 10, 2014
The annular ring was small, Here are the images.

Please view from the image url, I uploaded on google drive and it's not popping up here.
Perhaps the annular ring (the donut of metal) was too small to support the force. It is best to mount the part flush with the board, and bend the leads a bit to snug it doen before you start soldering. Solder asghould never be used for mechanical support anyway, and this way you keep force off the pad.

Seeing a picture of the failure would also help us help you.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Personally... I always shoot for a ring of 2x hole diameter..

and not having a temp controlled iron, using too much solder like you have there,etc.. all problems/contributing factors..
Not surprised at all that you lifted a pad.. "noobs" do it ALL the time. :)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010

and not having a temp controlled iron, using too much solder like you have there,etc.. all problems/contributing factors..
I agree... Too much solder.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The components should be neat and as low as possible (touching the PCB). That way they cannot be pushed down which is what breaks the pads free from the PCB.

And PCBs were never really designed to have "force" applied to the components.

If you post a photo of your PCB we can offer suggestions for future PCBs. Don't be embrassed, we all made some shocking PCBs when we first started. :)

ayushextreme

Joined Apr 10, 2014
I lifted that pad by applying force on the resistor. I tried to increase the pad size while I was routing the board in Eagle. But I could not do a 2 mm pad, I am using a 1mm drill because the pads of USB B connector would overlap. Soldering Is difficult because there was hardly any pad left. A little bit of solder would make a big blob. I use wick to take out some and cut the rest with a flush cutter :)