Guide to making this amplifier?

Alan410

Joined Apr 16, 2014
Hi all, first post.

So I am trying to recreate this amp that is here:

http://runoffgroove.com/littlegem.html

But the problem is that it looks complicated and I don't know what each of the components are (Apart from the LM386 chip)

Also, can this create distortion using pin 1 and 8 of the 386, and if so, can I have a potentiometer and a switch to turn the distortion up (and off).

I plan to turn this into a portable guitar amp.

Thanks in advance.

P.S Mods, if I put this in the wrong place or made other mistakes please help me correct them, I am new :p

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Alan,
I would say 0.5Watt for a guitar amp will leave you disappointed with the volume.

Pins 1 and 8 set the gain of the LM386 amp.

E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
So, Do I just get a direct connection from pin 1 to 8 with a resistor? So confused.
hi,
If pins 1 and 8 are not connected, the LM386 has a Gain of 20 times.

If a 10uF capacitor is connected from pin 1 to 8 , the Gain will go upto 200.

The usual way is to have a variable resistor, say 10K and a 10uF capacitor in series between pin 1 and 8. The variable resistor [ volume control] would vary the Gain from ~ 20 to 200 as required.

If you link pins 1 and 8 you will get a distorted sound output...

E

Alan410

Joined Apr 16, 2014
http://runoffgroove.com/lgmk2-pcb.pdf

I found this schematic that bridges 2 LM386 chips.

I can't make custom boards, so could you make me a schematic with just a protoboard?

Another question,

Those capacitors, are the polarised, ceramic, etc etc. I don't really understand the difference between them.

And for the JFet, can I just use any JFet or that one specifically.

Thanks for helping me.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Hiya!

I followed a schematic :
http://www.runoffgroove.com/littlegemMK2.png

And ended up with a near satisfactory amplifier.

I bridged the 10uf capacitors and replaced it with a 10k pot that adds distortion.

The problem is that when I connect my guitar, I get no audio at all. If I connect it to my computer I get sound.

Also there is alot of background noise.

I removed the JFET that was supposed to be there because I didn't have one, it still works without it, not sure what it was for in the first place.

My distortion is also a bit messed up, having the my pot off (lowest) and then turning it up lowers the sound, but then builds up to the highest volume.

So problems I have are:

No sound from guitar.
Bad/strange distortion
Bad quality sound

Any way to fix this?
The JFET is a preamp that boosts the output from the guitar to a level that is adequate for the LM386. Without the JFET, you are having to increase the gain on the LM386 too much, and getting distortion. Before you give up on this amp, you should build it with the JFET.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The MPF102 is rated for 2ma to 20 ma. That's a wide range!
You can use a lot of different jfets.
The goal is to get a middle level voltage on the source by adjusting the resistor.
I'd try for 3 volts. That allows for 1 volt low on the power supply, 2 volts for the transistor to use, and 6 volts peak to peak for the signal. That's enough unless you have really hot pickups.

When you have the bias right, use the .047 capacitor to a 10K audio taper volume pot circuit. That will give you a range from 33 Hz (lower than a bass guitar) up.

ps, this jfet does not do gain. It relieves the guitar of the load required to drive the LM386 chip and keeps the high frequencies from loading down.