Need help identifying 3-phase connection

GenStudent

Joined Mar 16, 2014
I am trying to construct a circuit diagram for a diesel generator power system. I have read quite a bit online about 3-phase, but I haven't found an explanation for what I am seeing:

The generator has only three leads. Between lead "A" and lead "B" I read 208 volts. Between "A" and "C" I read 120 volts and between "B" and "C" I read 120 volts.

I don't think these voltages are consistent with normal delta, high-leg delta or open delta, delta with a center tap on one phase, nor with a wye system. Incidentally, the generator powers 120V lights, some baseboard heaters of unknown voltage, and a big motor that is labelled "3 phase."

Can anybody tell me what connection arrangement I have?

Thanks in advance.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It would appear you have a three phase four wire 120/208 'Wye' connected genset but you are missing one leg.

Connection 'C' appears to be your common center point for the wye and you are missing a 'D' connection for the third phase.

I have a old military genset that can be reconfigured for a number of different voltage and phase combinations and if I am remembering right in one of the 3ph connections for the 120/208 output one of the lugs that is a phase in another configuration becomes the center point connection for the wye setting.

Zerotolerance

Joined Sep 18, 2011
It seems that your C leg has blown a fuse or something. If you had a WYE configuration you would have 4 wires total. I am thinking you are missing the fourth wire though somewhere.

Last edited:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
It would appear you have a three phase four wire 120/208 'Wye' connected genset but you are missing one leg.

Connection 'C' appears to be your common center point for the wye and you are missing a 'D' connection for the third phase.

I have a old military genset that can be reconfigured for a number of different voltage and phase combinations and if I am remembering right in one of the 3ph connections for the 120/208 output one of the lugs that is a phase in another configuration becomes the center point connection for the wye setting.
Right you are.
I learned something today.:D

I don't understand it though.:confused:
Would need more than the 6 leads to get 120/240 single phase.:cool:

"Phase Conversion in Generators:
(1) Reconfiguring Coil Connection
A three-phase generator can be converted to a single-phase one by altering the connection between its stator windings inside or outside the generator head. For instance, in the case of a 3-phase generator, you would have 6 leads. Larger generators commonly have 12 leads from six coils and all the wires come out of the generator making it easier to configure the generator in a variety of ways as follows –

• Connecting the coils in series will convert the generator to a single-phase one.
• By connecting opposite coils in series, you can double the output voltage.
• A parallel connection will double the flow of current. "

http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/Generator_Phase_Conversions.aspx

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I don't understand it though.
Would need more than the 6 leads to get 120/240 single phase.
Six leads is all you need to get 120/240 single phase from a 120/208 or 120/120/120 three phase genset.

For the 120/240 single phase setup all you do is configure it into the 120/120/120 delta setup then shift your bottom phase left or right. (_/\ or /\_)
From that the bottom phase connections that were moved left or right make up one side of the 120/240 and the other two, still in their open ended delta configuration, make up the opposing 120 so when connected end to end you get 120 - 0 - 120 with the proper 240 across the two ends. ;)