All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Software, Microcomputing, and Communications Forums > Computing and Networks

Notices

Computing and Networks Discussion forum for general computing technologies, personal computing, data networking, information technology, and computer systems engineering.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:52 AM

Default Serial communication vs Parallel communication

Why is the Parallel port getting replaced by USB ports lately? When information is sent across one wire, one data bit at a time, its called serial. In the case of an 25-pin parallel port, you have eight data-carrying wires so that eight bits can be sent simultaneously. Because there are 8 wires to carry the data, the data finishes being transferred eight times faster than a serial connection. Maybe my understanding could be flawed but the USB port essentially makes use of serial communication...so why is serial communication replacing parallel communication even though parallel is faster?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:01 PM
E-book Developer

Parallel is not necessarily faster Reshma.

The problem with parallel transmission is that although you can send many bits at once (yes 8 in many systems) receive 'at once' is not a true statement.

Each bit travels a slightly different path down the cable and to a different pin on the chip.
The small differences in path length that each bit travels becomes more and more significant as speed increases. Thus the bits are not all received together.
As a first step you can counter this by holding the bits in a buffer until all are received (thereby loosing some of your speed gain), but eventually the bits become so out of step that garbage is received. This effect limits the max speed at which you can transmit parallel data.

With serial data each edge transition can represent only one bit so you can push them down the line just as fast as you are able. This can be more than 8 times faster than the parallel transmission limit, thus giving you a net speed increase.

Solve the synchronisation problem and we can go back to faster parallel.

This is why the latest computer bus PCI express, (PCIe) is serial.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 AM

That is the reason serial is the way to go now - it's cheaper. The interface is no problem, but the cabling would have to be bulky and expensive to accommodate differential signaling. 10 MHz should not be particularly difficult - imagine 10 megawords/sec. versus 12 megabits/sec. It's the $50/ft (probably more for 64 bit words) for the cabling that makes it impractical.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:34 AM

You might also want to consider something called "cross-talk" which is an issue in parallel communications, and has knock on effects to data validity across the interface.

Ultimately, the answer is that serial comms are generally cheaper and simpler (to wire/route).

Dave
Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

And then there is LVDS.

hgmjr
Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 AM
E-book Developer

Quote:
That is the reason serial is the way to go now - it's cheaper.
I wish.

Last weekend I took my daughter to look for a new printer. I was suprised to find that you now have to buy your own cable with the lower end models.

eg HP Deskjet £29.99; USB cable £19.99 also required.

I can buy a standard parallel printer cable for £1.50 and a ribbon one for £0.50 in the same store.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 AM
E-book Developer

Quote:
Why is the Parallel port getting replaced by USB ports lately?
This is not such an idle question as both serial and parallel transmission have unique features.

Undoubtedly serial is the fastest, using fibre optic links. Current technology does not allow parallel transmission this way.

Parallel scores in that it is not possible to send both control signals and data at the same time with serial. Most parallel systems employ control lines, in addition to data lines.
Some can be quite sophisticated. The GPIB bus is one such, used to link and control instrumentation.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiot View Post
I wish.

Last weekend I took my daughter to look for a new printer. I was suprised to find that you now have to buy your own cable with the lower end models.

I can buy a standard parallel printer cable for £1.50 and a ribbon one for £0.50 in the same store.
That's pretty bad news. I suppose they have to make their money somehow, or at least give you incentive to consider the high-end models. I'll be in the market for a printer in the next couple of weeks so will bare this in mind.

Mind you, that is why I hoard cables from the many PC projects I work on.

Dave
Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 AM

The upper end HP printers don't come with USB cables, either. Do look for USB cabling at stores other than for computer equipment. What costs $40 in the store may be had for $5 online.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiot View Post
I wish.

If the cable is standard A-B USB cable, then £19.99 is an exorbitant price for it. I bought mine (2m length) from one of those one pounder shop. I tend to cut and use them a lot when developing USB systems, certainly far cheaper than buying the connectors and cable from Farnell! The quality is not bad either.

Last edited by n9352527; 02-19-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Digital communication
Video Lecture Hardware: IO, RTC, PS - Microprocessors
Video Lecture Hardware: (Computer) - Microprocessors
Textbook Electrical signal types : Digital Communication
Textbook Networks and busses : Digital Communication
Textbook Introduction : Shift Registers