Difficult areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A lot of the things discussed here are, technically, a violation of this rule. I wouldn't worry about it. The rule is enforced, quite justifiably, when it applies to a dangerous situation such as a noob wanting to light up LEDs by plugging them into the wall. It happens all the time around here and must be nipped. I'm not inviting you to push the boundaries, just saying that if your motives are pure, this rule may not bother you at all.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hi Guys

Absolutely lost here with these rules: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=94053&page=2

As a result of this, my time spent here will be wasted.

Transformerless Power Supplies are not taboo. Just need to be understood.
Far more reliable than equivalent SMPS or anything else...

Understood is what it is all about.

See you Guys,
tvtech
Wasted really? Because of a few simple rules that you need to follow? I would say that is an insult to all of the wonderful forum members that help here.

If you want your own rules start your own forum.

We have a saying in the US - Don't let the screen door hit you in our butto on the way out.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I don't quite follow the logic of avoiding them in every case either.

They are well understood circuits used in hundreds of millions of small specialty low power applications around us every day.

Heck I just took one of my Craftsman cordless drill fast chargers apart the other week and found out that is nothing but a big transformerless power supply. :eek:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The required understanding is summed up in the Golden Rule. He that makes the gold (equivalent to paying the bills), makes the rules. Don't like it? Too bad, your're more than welcome to go elsewhere.

tvtech

Joined Mar 18, 2012
Wasted really? Because of a few simple rules that you need to follow? I would say that is an insult to all of the wonderful forum members that help here.

If you want your own rules start your own forum.

We have a saying in the US - Don't let the screen door hit you in our butto on the way out.
For some reason you don't like me :D

No problems. Such is life.

tvtech

tvtech

Joined Mar 18, 2012
The required understanding is summed up in the Golden Rule. He that makes the gold (equivalent to paying the bills), makes the rules. Don't like it? Too bad, your're more than welcome to go elsewhere.
Absolutely true Papabravo

I am too stupid to comment here. Elsewhere sounds good.

Thanks for the advice.

tvtech

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
tcmtech, wasnt it a switch mode power supply? those are fairly common on drill chargers.
the "transformerless" gets a little vague when it comes to smps, the transformer operates at high frequencies, but part is at line voltages. also some tv's use the horizontal sweep stage as a power supply with no isolation transformer, just rectification and filtering.

tvtech

Joined Mar 18, 2012
No I just don't like the fact that you insult the people that spent so much time helping out here and those that have learned a great deal from coming to this forum, like me.
Spinnaker...you and I have no Beef. Or things to settle.
I am the easiest person on the planet to handle.

Seriously I am easy going. I just stand up for what I believe is right. Be it a Forum or a person or a solid idea.

Just the person I am.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What is right is that you knew the rules when you signed up. Half a dozen things are not allowed here. So what? There are other places to discuss those things. You also aren't allowed to use the ladies room in a public building. That doesn't mean your time at the Super Bowl would be a complete waste.

tvtech

Joined Mar 18, 2012
What is right is that you knew the rules when you signed up. Half a dozen things are not allowed here. So what? There are other places to discuss those things. You also aren't allowed to use the ladies room in a public building. That doesn't mean your time at the Super Bowl would be a complete waste.
LOL. I am acting like a Guy but I am actually a hot chick.
A knowledgeable one that is :D.

Over and out for now

Miss tvtech.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It is good for AAC members to let off some steam once in a while and say how they feel. Such open discussions will run its course and eventually come to closure. The clock is ticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.