Joined Aug 23, 2012
The symble for clock.
v = clock is falling
or
↑= clock is raising
↓= clock is falling

X _ ? don't know the value of Qn when clock is falling
D Clk Qn /Qn
X --↓ Qn /Qn - The output values of Qn and /Qn are the same when clock is falling

can anyone explain last line
IF D = 0 and clock is falling what will be Qn
IF D = 1 and Clock is falling what will be Qn
IF D = 0 and clock is falling then the Qn will be 0, it means that there is no change.

IF D = 1 and Clock is falling then the Qn will be 1, it means that there is no change.

Because The Qn of the D flip-flip will be actived when the clock is on the raising edge, so when the clock on the falling edge there is nothing to change.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
The symble for clock.
v = clock is falling
or
↑= clock is raising
↓= clock is falling

D Clk Qn /Qn
X --↓ Qn /Qn - The output values of Qn and /Qn are the same when clock is falling

IF D = 0 and clock is falling then the Qn will be 0, it means that there is no change.

IF D = 1 and Clock is falling then the Qn will be 1, it means that there is no change.

Because The Qn of the D flip-flip will be actived when the clock is on the raising edge, so when the clock on the falling edge there is nothing to change.
I think when clock is running there may be only two case means clock is raising or clock is falling or we can say clock is high or clock is low or clock high =1 and clock low =o

IS this table is correct

D c Qn
0 ↓ 0
0 ↑ 0
1 ↓ 1
1 ↑ 1

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I think when clock is running there may be only two case means clock is raising or clock is falling or we can say clock is high or clock is low or clock high =1 and clock low =o

IS this table is correct

D c Qn
0 ↓ 0
0 ↑ 0
1 ↓ 1
1 ↑ 1
The answer of table is right.

Your memory method should be only in one condition is more easier, that is : The Qn of the D flip-flip will be actived when the clock is at the raising edge, the actived means that the Qn will be equal to input D, and the /Qn is the inverting of Qn, and don't care the others.

The clock has 4 situations as : Low,↑,Hi,↓,...,Low,↑,Hi,↓,...
..__...__
_↑..↓_↑..↓

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
The clock has 4 situations as : Low,↑,Hi,↓,...,Low,↑,Hi,↓,...
..__...__
_↑..↓_↑..↓
I know when clock is raising Qn will be same as input D
D Clk |Qn
--------------
0 0 | ?
1 0 | ?
0 1 | ?
1 1 | ?
0 ↑ | 0
1 ↑ | 1

how to find out the value of Qn when clock is high or clock is low

can you explain with truth table I tried lot but still I didn't understood

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I know when clock is raising Qn will be same as input D
D Clk |Qn
--------------
0 0 | ?
1 0 | ?
0 1 | ?
1 1 | ?
0 ↑ | 0
1 ↑ | 1

how to find out the value of Qn when clock is high or clock is low

can you explain with truth table I tried lot but still I didn't understood
You still don't get what I means - don't care the others (other conditions).

Beside the clock at the ↑ raising time, the other conditions won't affecting the output of Qn and /Qn.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
This is the sort of way this is written, Q(n-1) meaning the previous value of Q

D Clk |Qn
--------------
0 0 | Qn-1
1 0 | Qn-1
0 1 | Qn-1
1 1 | Qn-1
0 ↓ | Qn-1
1 ↓ | Qn-1
0 ↑ | 0
1 ↑ | 1

But since the flipflop is triggered on positive edge, you really don´t need to show the rest of the cases apart from the two on the rising edge.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
This is the sort of way this is written, Q(n-1) meaning the previous value of Q

D Clk |Qn
--------------
0 0 | ?
1 0 | ?
0 1 | ?
1 1 | ?
0 ↓ | ?
1 ↓ | ?
0 ↑ | 0
1 ↑ | 1

But since the flipflop is triggered on positive edge, you really don´t need to show the rest of the cases apart from the two on the rising edge.
I want to table in terms of 0s and 1s so help me to complete table in terms of 0s and 1s

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It's not possible to complete your table in only terms of 1's and 0's. Flip-flops are a form of memory and are activated on rising edge of the clock. And so, at all other times (eg. falling clock edge) the output is the same as the value of the input at the last rising clock edge.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Well yes, because the flipflop does nothing except when the clock is rising. Normally you wouldn´t even mention the rest of the cases.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
This table is quite representative. It covers it all. Since you are a student. I would suggest a visit to the school library. It often helps to browse more than book in the learning process

Attachments

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
expanding on what t06afre posted, set and clear are usually asynchronous, meaning that the output will change regardless of clock.
In the example the Clear signal is active low, that is when it is low the Q output will be "cleared" or set to 0.

The Preset signal is the same thing, but it sets the Q output to 1.

we select flip flop at least to be stable for 1 clock period of time (as per our required task say processor requirement),hence flip flop is made enabled only at edge using a logic (A.Acompliment ,(.)refers to and operation and a is clock signal).hence truth table is as follows:

D Q(n+1) {it refers to next state for the given input}
0 0
1 1

and this happens when clock is at -ve edge for negative triggered and when +ve edge for positive triggered

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
i think your missing the point here, the way the D input moves to Q output is snychronous with the clock. The set and reset inputs are asynchronous so the set or reset the output regardless of the clock.
Every D flipflop is synchronous - its output reacts to the D input according to the clock, but some have the added feature of asynchronous reset and set inputs.

(An R-S latch would be called asynchronous since it has no clock input)

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
it means we don't need set reset in synchronous D flip flop
Set and reset are the priority control pins, their priority are over D and clock.

You can only using set and reset pins as a RS latch, you just ignore the D an clock, and connecting them to GND.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
th
i think your missing the point here, the way the D input moves to Q output is snychronous with the clock. The set and reset inputs are asynchronous so the set or reset the output regardless of the clock.
Every D flipflop is synchronous - its output reacts to the D input according to the clock, but some have the added feature of asynchronous reset and set inputs.

(An R-S latch would be called asynchronous since it has no clock input)
there are two type of flip flop asynchronous and synchronous flip flop
synchronous flip flop we need clock cycle like flip flop with positive edge
asynchronous with clock enable like D latch