Tone Decoder to Latch - Sensitivity

PointyUK

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Hi All,

After a bit of googling I managed to cobble together the following circuit...
which works as required, I am however trying to make it as versatile as possible and allow plenty of adjustments/tuning.

I can adjust the mic gain with R5 and the tone required to activate the LM567 with R7. I know I can replace R9 with a pot to adjust the latch output time. What I don't know is how to change to number of pulses/length of pulse needed to activate the latch.

The tone the mic is picking up can be anything from a single beep which is about 200ms in length to a constant stream of beeps that sounds like a continuous tone. The circuit fires fine on a single beep, so what I would like to do is be able to adjust it so that it only fires on 5 beeps or a continuous tone of about 1 second.

Finally I had to put much larger values for the Power-on reset for the 555 than the suggested norm (10K/0.1uF) to stop it firing on power up. Any ideas why?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give a newbie.

Les

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you use any decoupling capacitors at the chips?
Decoupling or Bypass Capacitors, Why?
For the NE555 I would use a 10 μF capacitor paralel to a 0.1 μF capacitor,
as the NE 555 is well known to have a harsh influence on the powerline.
Without them the circuit will act unpredictable.
Perhaps that is why you needed to "adjust" your reset circuit.

Bertus

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
so what I would like to do is be able to adjust it so that it only fires on 5 beeps or a continuous tone of about 1 second.
You could perhaps have a pulse integrator between the 567 and the 555, so that each pulse from the 567 lowers the Trig input of the 555 step-wise.
Any ideas why?
Probably due to the charge time of C3,C4?

PointyUK

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Hello,

Did you use any decoupling capacitors at the chips?
Decoupling or Bypass Capacitors, Why?
For the NE555 I would use a 10 μF capacitor paralel to a 0.1 μF capacitor,
as the NE 555 is well known to have a harsh influence on the powerline.
Without them the circuit will act unpredictable.
Perhaps that is why you needed to "adjust" your reset circuit.

Bertus
Thanks for the suggestion, I will add that to the design.

You could perhaps have a pulse integrator between the 567 and the 555, so that each pulse from the 567 lowers the Trig input of the 555 step-wise.
Not sure what you mean Alec, the 567 sends a low pulse, I just don't know how to make the 555 latch require a longer pulse to fire.

Regards,

Les

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Try this:-
Connect the 567 output to one end of a 33k resistor instead of to the 555 trig input.
Connect the other end of the 33k to V+ via the parallel combination of a 10uF cap and a 680k resistor.
Connect that 'other end' of the 33k to the 555 trig input.

PointyUK

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Try this:-
Connect the 567 output to one end of a 33k resistor instead of to the 555 trig input.
Connect the other end of the 33k to V+ via the parallel combination of a 10uF cap and a 680k resistor.
Connect that 'other end' of the 33k to the 555 trig input.

Thanks for trying to help, and I am probably being stupid, but I don't understand. We seem to have 3 ends of the 33k resistor!

Maybe a drawing would help.

Regards,

Les