All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Software, Microcomputing, and Communications Forums > Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers

Notices

Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers Discussion forum for projects and working with embedded systems and microcontrollers (FPGAs, PICs, AVRs). Get help with hardware issues and embedded programming.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 AM

Question Interfacing webcam with PIC16877

hello guys..
i still have problem with PIC16877 to interface with web camera. i am going to make the robot that can capture the image surrounding within the range of time. and we can download the picture from webcam to the PC by using the interface circuit . My problem is, i still have no idea to connect any pin of PIC to webcam. If someone know, please let me know..

thanks..
4ur information, i decide to using Matlab programming because it also can do image processing.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:48 AM

Where does the PIC come into this? If you are connecting a webcam to a PC to do the image processing I see no need for the PIC.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 PM

Don't most webcams use USB to send data to the computer? Why would the PIC be useful?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:25 AM

hi guys..
thanks for ur concern..
actually i am trying to make autonomous robot that can capture picture using webcam and automatically save in MMC. thats y i was try to make it flexible by interface webcam with microcontroller(PIC or if hv any option it also can) . for instance, the robot move forward and take a picture mybe three times and come back. then, the picture can be download from MMC.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM

As webcams tend to use USB to send the data, there is a large programming overhead associated with managing the interface. There are numbers of small CCD cameras available that simply output the picture scan with no USB overhead. You will have to know how to identify the beginning of each frame to take in a coherent picture, but something like that is mostly having enough memory to soak up all those bits.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:39 PM

thanks beenthere..
i think using CCD also suitable, i nvr thought b4. but the problem is, i try searching the CCD circuit in google but i found nothing. please tell me where i can get the CCD cct and also how CCD connection with PIC16877a and memory card because the image capture need to be save.

thanks again..
Old 01-20-2008, 01:25 AM

It is a Charge Coupled Device camera, not a circuit. Here is a link to one - http://www.web-tronics.com/lowcococcdca.html.

Here is a link to a supplier - http://www.ccdcamera.com/.

This points to the Wikipedia artilce on CCD's, with many more links - http://www.ccdcamera.com/.

This project may be a bit much for a mocrocontroller to handle just from the amount of data that has to be stored per frame.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:04 AM

Try looking at the CMU Camera:

http://www.acroname.com/robotics/par...CAM2-PLUS.html

This is an upgraded version of the classic CMUCam:

http://www.seattlerobotics.com/cmucam.htm
Old 01-20-2008, 02:48 AM

i think CCD is like a IC that extend becoming the camera. and if yes, i think it can be connected and controlled by PIC. all the features will be controlled with PIC such as capture the image. And one thing, if we use usb webcam, u said that it need more programing. can u xplain detail...

thanks..
Old 01-20-2008, 02:59 AM

thanks for nanovate for the link about cmu camera..
actually, i try to make low cost project..
thats why, i have trying to finish my project by using webcam..
the ccd camera also suitable, but i need to know how to program this camera to take picture,turning and etc.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Textbook The command-line interface : Using The spice Circuit Simulation Program
Textbook Introduction : Using The spice Circuit Simulation Program