100,000 watt bulb - 115 volt!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi all,

I visited the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago yesterday. Lots of cool stuff. One of the strange things was the 100k watt bulb with a 115volt. That's 870 amps!

The filaments were about 3/16" diameter. The bulb is about 24 - 30 inches tall. There was no documentation / description that I could find. I have no idea if it was experimental or for stadium lighting or movie studio lighting.

A similar 75k watt bulb is on display at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. Various other museums have one as GE produced a bunch to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the light bulb. I don't think these were designed for only 115 volts.

No discussion needed, just wanted to share a technical curiosity.

My photo was too dark so I found this one on the webs...

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Cool! Thanks for the info. :)

But it's a bit old fashioned, I want to see the modern version; a plug-in LED replacement bulb. ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In the 1960's I spent a week at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry...and I still didn't see it all! :eek:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Its from Westinghouse in the 1930's..
Made to model the intensity of sunlight striking the earth. Or so it says on the sign

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Its from Westinghouse in the 1930's..
Made to model the intensity of sunlight striking the earth. Or so it says on the sign
The sign must have been missing the day I was there because we looked all around that day - nothing more than the bulb that said Westinghouse, 115V and 100,000 watt.

Someone else sent me a photo by PM of a yellow sign from the internet saying exactly what you said.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The sign must have been missing the day I was there because we looked all around that day - nothing more than the bulb that said Westinghouse, 115V and 100,000 watt.

Someone else sent me a photo by PM of a yellow sign from the internet saying exactly what you said.
Sign was out for cleaning.. Damn kids and their sticky hands ;)

snowdrifter

Joined Aug 13, 2013
I really, really want to see that thing lit up. Like.. Really....

That's crazy. I'd be scared to be within 30 feet of that thing just because of the heat it would give off lol

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I really, really want to see that thing lit up. Like.. Really....

That's crazy. I'd be scared to be within 30 feet of that thing just because of the heat it would give off lol
That much heat would blister the front 20 pounds of you in 13 seconds.:eek: