All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > Electronics Resources

Notices

Electronics Resources Get help with all types of electronics resources, including books, websites, datasheets, technical literature, and software.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Brick and Mortar Electronics Stores in the USA?

Hello folks,

Does anyone know if there are any brick and mortar chain stores left in the USA that carry electronic components? Or any good non-chain stores in the Philadelphia area?

Radio Shack doesn't seem to sell components or equipment anymore...
Old 12-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

I am afraid if you are serious about experimenting with electronics then you will need to get used to purchasing what you need online.

There are some real bargains to be found there.

hgmjr

Last edited by hgmjr; 12-29-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Norvak and Fry's both have a good selection of components. Don't know if they have them "back East," though. One can also find plenty of surplus dealers with dandy prices.

Google says
Fertik's Electronics
5400 Ella St.
Philadelphia, Pa 19120
215-455-2121

S&G Electronic Surplus
618 S. 62nd Street
P.O. Box 19895
Philadelphia, PA 19143

And you might also ask these guys: http://www.microwaveupdate.org/alternate_activities.php
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 12-29-2007, 03:53 AM

I'd have to second hgmjr in his statement... Places like digikey simply are amazing, they have nearly any part you would ever want and they can get it to you extremely fast at a decent price!

Whenever I do a design, I use all stocked digikey parts so that I don't have sourcing issues.

Steve
Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 AM

Stealing parts from junk electronics works and you can find good things to use in them. Passive components, lasers, etc can be had. I have two huge stepper motors from HP LaserJet II's that are much prized in the robotics community. I gutted a cisco router, proprietary pukeware that it is so all I got was the power supply. Gutted an old NEC LCD monitor, 6K new, got a switching supply out of it. And an RCA PTV 3A power, does the B+ and is in the 100+ range but I've not checked it yet.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:53 PM

Wow thanks everyone.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:24 AM
Expert Member

Electronics Goldmine has some interesting stuff, along with hard-to-find components.

MPJA.com (Marlin P. Jones & Associates) has a selection of power supplies and PCB stock.

Mouser Electronics and Allied Electric are both top-notch companies with a huge selection.

My local favorite is Skycraft Surplus - that place is a techno-junkie's dream. They do have a website, but it's not possible for them to list everything they have. Google is your friend.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , ,