All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Default half wave rectifier with inductive load

In power electronics we are taught that in negative cycle diode does not turns off in half wave rectifier with inductive load. I know that current through inductor cannot change instantaneously hence current cannot go to zero abruptly but I cannot understand why diode is not turning off.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 PM

Basically, it's due to the back emf of the inductor.

To put it another way: an inductor does not like its current to change. So at the end of the half cycle, the voltage across the inductor reverses and the inductor pushes its current through the diode and the transformer secondary.

This is not necessarily a problem. Often, an extra diode is placed between the output of the half-wave rectifier and the 0V rail. This is reverse biased during the conducting half-cycle but carries the inductor current during the non-conducting half-cycle. This prevents the inductor back-emf current flowing through the rectifier and transformer winding.

BTW: this is a simple way to run a DC relay coil from an AC supply. The relay does not buzz or chatter due to this back-emf current flowing through the extra diode during the non-conducting half cycle.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 PM

Yep, back EMF. Basically the inductor needs to bleed off the energy stored inside it, so it's voltage goes negative to make the diode continue to conduct.

I learned this one the hard way: My first job was in switching power supplies, and a typical transformer secondary to CT diode rectifier (2 diodes) and I saw the voltage on the diode go negative. I saw the phenomena though I did not know why it did that, and never gave it much thought until it came up in an interview for another job.

I did not get that job. <grin>
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”
Old 03-13-2013, 02:57 AM

It's called continuous mode operation, or something like that. It is not a fault condition.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Basic AC-DC power supplies
Worksheet Rectifier circuits
Worksheet Advanced electromagnetism and electromagnetic induction
Worksheet Step-up, step-down, and isolation transformers
Textbook Mutual inductance and basic operation : Transformers
Textbook Special transformers and applications : Transformers
Textbook The Silicon-Controlled Rectifier (SCR) : Thyristors