8085 slots machine

aman92

Joined Aug 22, 2012
Hello,
I am quite new to the 8085 microprocessor and am still learning the basics. Basically I need to develop a project at the end of my semester and I had an idea of implementing a slot machine. Any ideas on whether it's feasible for a newbie and some assistance on how to go about it?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The first step is to learn enough about slot machines to decide what you want yours to be like. What are the inputs, what are the outputs, what are the basic behaviors?

aman92

Joined Aug 22, 2012
Well I want to include most of the basic functionality including a facility for entering a specific amount, the minimum bet you want to play with etc. I think a 3 reel machine would be sufficient.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Now define what a "3 reel machine" is. Specifically, how many "sides" per reel, how many different sides, what constitutes a "win", what are the payouts per winning combination, etc.

Remember, you have to specify the machine you want to build in sufficient detail that it can be built.

aman92

Joined Aug 22, 2012
About 5 sides should do I guess. I am thinking of displaying them on an LCD screen but is it feasible to work with as my first project?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't know if it is feasible for your first project because I don't know what your background is, how fast you can learn the concepts, or how mcuh work you are getting yourself in for. That last part depends on how much detail and how sophisticated you want to get. The good news is that this is an adjustable parameter that you can move around as you go.

As for the number of sides, you will find that making things equal to an integer power of two will generally make your life a lot simpler. So choose 4 , 8, or 16 sides.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What do you plan to use for the random number generator? LFSRs are deterministic if run only by the code. The seed needs to come from an ADC reading, time between human interaction, etc for the number to show actual random behavior.