Is such a device possible?

anniefiesta

Joined Jan 24, 2013
Hi, I joined this forum to get some advice, as I know nothing about electronics, but want to find out if it is possible to create a device, comprised of 2 parts, that will beep when separated from one another at a distance, for example, of 10 metres?

Thanks

Brainbox

Joined Nov 15, 2010
Yes, you can simply take a cord of 10 meters connected to a switch, battery and buzzer.
When the cord is stretched to its full length it activates the switch and close a circuit to let the buzzer beep.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Probably best to do it with low power RF transmitters. Certain bands, like 455Mhz for instance, allow such devices to run unlicensed, provided certain restrictions ( I think ) I've thought about that, put one on my luggage and the other on my belt or something so I don't walk away and forget to get my luggage in the airport.

anniefiesta

Joined Jan 24, 2013
Thanks for your quick reply. Is there anything out there already, or is it something I would have to get made, and if so, any ideas who would be able to make it?

anniefiesta

Joined Jan 24, 2013
Sorry hadn't seen all your replies. Are there companies you can make stuff like that for you, if there is nothing available already?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Notice that the reception may vary due to interference or obstacles.
It probably will not fail, instead it will give many false alarms which might drive you crazy.