New desktop computer--should I buy it?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
A friend of mine is selling his old desktop machine and has offered it to me for a very good price. I've been thinking of building a desktop for a long time, but I haven't had the means. I'm trying to decide if I should jump on it. These are the specs:

Cooler Master Centurion 5 case with clear side panel
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
Intel i7 3.4ghz processor
Cooler Master V8 Cooling system
3GB OCZ 1600mhz RAM
2 ATI Hydravision 4650 Graphics cards
Cooler Master 650W power supply
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

I realize some of it is slightly outdated, but I believe it's easily upgradable. He's offered it to me for $400.

As for cosmetics, it's got some minor dents and scrapes, but is in overall good condition. I know this thing's worth upwards of $1000, so it's definitely good for the money, but I thought I'd get some more opinions.

Thanks guys!
Matt

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
More like upwards of 1000€!

The build rocks! And if you don't play all the latest games it's gonna last at least for 5 years in mint performance. The only thing I 'd add is a bit more RAM.

JUMP ON IT!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
RAM was the first thing I saw that I figured I'd want to change. That won't be a problem. Thinking of upping it to at least 4, if not 6, and installing win7 ultimate, x64. I still have the installation disc from my last installation, and I think it should still work.

Never really been into gaming, but it'll definitely be great for programming and video editing (two of my hobbies).

The only problem is that I don't have the cash on me now (I don't usually carry that much around with me :p). I'm going to have to wait about a month and a half before I would be able to buy it. Hoping someone else doesn't buy it out from under me....

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Grab it and run then change your phone number. Normally I would say no because for 20-30% more you can get a bangin laptop and just use that as a portable desktop. That what I've been doing. I still have my beater Desktop for downloading and beating on it. But a job bought me a top of the line laptop that was about 30x faster then my PC. So I've resorted to using it for biz and gaming if I need, then this desktop to just smash on till it drops. My Laptop is a i7 2.8ghz quad, 8GB, Nvidia 555m Blue ray, 17 inch, numpad! etc...My PC is an Athlon X64 2.0ghz, 512mb 666mhz, Nvida 9800 GT, Also since I got my laptop I bought a bunch of BT kb's and mice. My desktop KB died so I'm using my tiny laptop BT kb. Thus so many missing letters. But the battery life is incredible going on 2 months and haven't turned it off once.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Won't you need more hard drive space for video editing?
I'm currently running the editing programs on my laptop which only has about 300 gigs of hard drive space. 500 gigs is a huge step up, but as a matter of fact, I have just been offered a pair of 320GB hard drives. I figure I can upgrade a bit perhaps at some point in the future, but 500 gigs should be plenty to start with ;)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Put your name and address on my pm,I will fold a hundred dollar bill in side and it will

be off monday,I would like to see three more public offers.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Put your name and address on my pm,I will fold a hundred dollar bill in side and it will

be off monday,I would like to see three more public offers.
Hahaha, thank you very much for the offer, Loosie! Someone else has also offered, but I have decided to turn it down. I really appreciate the gesture, but I have opted to go the PayPal route. My friend just set one up, so I'll be able to transfer the funds in a matter of days, and have the computer next week :)

I just couldn't ask you guys to send me money. It's too much, really. But thank you. You're a really great group of guys, and I enjoy being here :)

Best wishes,
Matt