converting to schematic

adeboy

Joined Dec 12, 2012
hello all newbie here! just practising millman theorem from All About Circuit but i cant seem to get the answer right for the below diagram from the worksheet so there must be something wrong with my schematic...any help will do in converting this to a schematic so i can apply millman's ... particularly what happens to the 15v on the right starter motor? since the left one is modeled as a resistance? :confused:

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I see you have two vehicles with the one on the left being assisted by the one on the right. Personally, I don't know of any vehicle where the starter is directly connected to the battery.

Draw the schematic that is represended by your pictorial.

What was the assigned question?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You are modeling wire resistances as low as 4mΩ but are not modeling the resistance of the jumper cables. Odd.

I'll assume the direct connect of the starter to the battery is simply modeling the situation when the starter solenoid is engaged.

As JoeJester says, draw the circuit represented by your picture and start from there.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Your drawing is incorrect.

Draw just the left vehicle ... Start with the ground and work your way to the positive terminal.

Post that portion ...

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You didn't draw the resistor from the negative terminal to ground ... as it also is part of the circuit.

The battery voltage is incorrect.

adeboy

Joined Dec 12, 2012
This is what i think it should be ... now you are going to tell me its not so :)
i hope this is not a drag on you...if you give me the big picture then i will get it faster maybe

Attachments

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
That is correct.

When you jump a car, it's typically battery connections. I certainly wouldn't have drawn it the way you did, so I'll show you what I did ...

You can arrive at two different answers depending on how you treat the two "resistances" on the positive terminal of the batteries. If you include them in with the battery calculations, your motor value will be much lower than if you treat them as "wire" resistance to the starters.

Below is how I drawn the left side. I did the same with the right side other than the motor is on the right side of that battery. Then my "jumper" is directly from battery positive to battery positive.

Neither of my two answers agree with the answer provided. I will write it up and post it in the other forum to get that question clarified from the authors prospective.

I fully expect our Millman's expert to comment in that other thread.

Let me know what you get for a result, and I'll confirm if it's the same as mine.

Show your work ...

Attachments

adeboy

Joined Dec 12, 2012
here is my solution ...i left out the 15v across the motor on the right since its not a source and i also assumed that the starter motor on the right is modeled as .15ohms just like the one on the left from the instruction to solution

Attachments

adeboy

Joined Dec 12, 2012
thanks joe ...correcting my mistake i got 12.4[V] and 62.2[A] .
i believe this should be thesame you got.
moving on to applying millman to amplifiers.

thank you for your time once again

adeboy

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
12.4 is the total across the battery positive and ground.

62.2 is the current in the motor.

I believe the question wanted to know the voltage across the motor ....

But I do think you get if ... just be careful when you transpose numbers.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
adeboy,

Consider the right vehicle's "starter" a "generator" supplying 15V. Your answer will agree with the "revealed" answers.