FL did something right!

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The illegal sale of horse meat has been a major issue in South Florida for the last few years.
Never knew that.

According to a USA Today report, there were at least 17 reports of horse carcasses that were found on the side of roads, cut up from meat harvesting in 2009.
Makes me wonder about that hamburger at lunch.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
According to a USA Today report, there were at least 17 reports of horse carcasses that were found on the side of roads, cut up from meat harvesting in 2009.
And the first assumption is that someone is selling the harvested meat. Who is to say a family that can't afford meat is using the meat?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Well its been illegal to use horse meat for like 5+ years, the quietly they let the ban pass without renewing it nationally in Dec 11. Then states started passing laws against it. But figuring we get so much meat from south of the border I'm sure we all eat our share of horse
Theres lots of articles on it
http://www.ibtimes.com/horse-slaughter-approved-us-5-reasons-not-eat-horse-meat-212585

Then in June 12 they repassed the ban
http://www.petside.com/article/horse-slaughter-meat-ban-back

But I'm sure it still finds its way into corrupt meat houses and processing plants in other countries.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat

Wiki has some good info on it. I may have eaten horse meat in Italy 33 years ago, as my Italian was very ruff.

There are plenty of recipes out there ... and horse meat is a higher protein then beef. I won't be rushing out anytime soon, but you can purchase horse meat in their clearly marked "not for human consumption" in asian markets.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The article seemed to suggest that people were illegally slaughtering horses for their meat. People also consider horses campanions, like cats and dogs. From a nutritional standpoint, there would be no reason to not eat it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Pretty sure I ate horse meat in Panama. I'm still alive and kickin'. Not sure why it would be illegal, unless you were marking it "Beef" and selling as such. I see nothing wrong with the honest sale and purchase of horse meat. But then I could say the same thing about pot and a handful of other things whose illegality is a mystery to me.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I find it interesting that the government dictates which animals are okay to eat and which aren't based off of whether people might think it's cute, or useful....

..it's a good think cows and chickens are so ugly :p

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The purpose of the government is to create enemies both foreign and domestic.
Damm ... I'll have to be much more observant to abide by the oath I took four times. The government ... we have met the enemy and it is US.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Damm ... I'll have to be much more observant to abide by the oath I took four times. The government ... we have met the enemy and it is US.
I only took it once, but remembered enough to hijack it's verbiage. I still support and defend the constitution (not in a professional capacity) but I didn't see anything in there about horse meat.