All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:46 AM

Default sine to square wave converter

hey guys

I've been looking on the net for a cheap and simple box that converts a sine wave to a square wave

for my project TRACK car - the ECU needs a square wave speed signal. I have a sine wave reluctance style sensor in the back of the speedo. I want to condition the signal.

I can change the pulse settings blabla in the ECU to get the speed right so I can just use any converter right? The problem is I can't even find one
Old 10-17-2012, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Going from sine to square is a lot easier than the other way around.
Any amplifier, transistor, logic gate or comparator will do the job.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrChips For This Useful Post:
s900t8v (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 02:58 AM

ok, so i'm a total noob when it comes to electronics, can you point me at something cheap and readily available

Ideally I just want to connect the sine input, and connect the square output, is there anything that makes it that easy lol ;D
Old 10-17-2012, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

You have to provide more information.
What is the output voltage and impedance of the sensor.
What voltage is required by the ECU. What is the input impedance of the ECU?
Some of these questions you may not know the answer. But if you can provide more details we can figure it out.

If this has anything to do with real automobiles, we cannot help you.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChips View Post
You have to provide more information.
What is the output voltage and impedance of the sensor.
What voltage is required by the ECU. What is the input impedance of the ECU?
Some of these questions you may not know the answer. But if you can provide more details we can figure it out.

If this has anything to do with real automobiles, we cannot help you.
na it's a project...

how do I measure these things?

I can measure the voltage at the sine wave sensor? how do I measure impedence?

not sure about the ECU, seeing if I can find that out now !

thanks for the help
Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 AM

The output impedance of the sensor is going to determine how large the input impedance of your "converter" will roughly have to be so that you do not lose your signal.

Assuming that this sensor is linear and is completely resistive (probably not the case) if you hook a known supply voltage up to the sensor and measure the current produced, the impedance (resistance) can be found as the input voltage divided by the measured current.

If you want to get the reactive component of the impedance (capacitive/inductive) pass in an AC voltage and measure the current amplitude and phase difference from the input voltage and perform the same calculation (involves imaginary numbers). The latter is more involved, but good to do if you know what you're doing.

If there is a capacitive/inductive component, your impedance is going to depend on the operating frequency. Impedance increases with increasing frequency for inductors and decreases with increasing frequency for capacitors. Resistance is not affected by frequency. Find out the frequencies that you will be using.

Once you've got a rough idea of the output frequencies of the sensor, it's output impedance, and its possible amplitude and you will be almost ready to setup your "converter". The signal will most likely need to have noise and DC bias filtered and even amplification if it is too weak.

As a crude example, read up on the Schmitt Trigger as this would be an easy way to transform the signal into what you want. Basically the op-amp acts as a comparator and compares the voltage between its +ve and -ve terminals. If V+ > V- then, its output terminal will be ~+ve supply voltage and ~-ve supply voltage in the opposite case. The Schmitt Trigger has a feedback component that actually takes into account what the output currently is and changes its compare voltage depending on what state your in.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:30 PM

Read this to get you closer to a solution: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_6/2.html
Old 10-17-2012, 03:46 PM

use a 555 timer

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=555...9,r:8,s:0,i:93
Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 PM
E-book Developer

Track car + ECU = automobile
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 PM

Literally all you need is a schmitt trigger, if the output doesn't have to power a heavy load directly anyway.

It's exactly what you want. It's available in a DIP chip, has one input and one output, and only needs power and ground connections to begin operating

Here's an example:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...or/mXurtwx.pdf
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Phase-locked loops
Worksheet Linear computational circuitry
Worksheet Signal modulation
Worksheet Power conversion circuits
Worksheet Performance-based assessments for AC circuit competencies