bad transformer

bladerunner

Joined Apr 15, 2012
Let me rephrase the question entirely.

I rebuild my electric fence chargers because the fellow that did them previously is not available anymore. He was a renegade and a hell of an electronics genius. He was building electronic gadgets when most of us were in diapers and I am 62. No I am not trying to build a taser? just rebuild a very good and very hot electric fence box. A box of this type will costs several hundreds of dollars on the market which is a lot more than I want to spend so I thought I would use a little brain power. Guess I have a hitch in my circuits somewhere??

It is not hard to replace most of the parts however, I have a hard time finding transformers that perform like they are suppose to.

If a transformer (step-up) only reads lower than 4.0 kv. and then sometimes it reads 9.9 kv. is it bad. I thought at one time it might be the capacitor by it reads ok in esr. My ohms meter shows me it that a particular transformers primary is open or gives me a reading other than 1 on my meter. Could this be a a bleed over from the input voltage causing it to ground out?

Like most other fencer units 9.9 kv for a good(long range) box is normal. However, they will not release their parts. Guess I will have to tear one (transformer) down and count the wiring,(turns), get the size of wire so I might be able to at least tell someone what I need or completely rebuild this one.

Polypropalene film capacitors (SH-capacitor) were used in most all of his units. I have equipment to check these and don't think they are a problem. They were anywhere from 40uf to 100uf with 250V to 650 V capacity.

I have recently purchased transformers from an electric fencer company whose parts (transformers) I hoped would work. They are so many types and sizes of electric fence boxes( 1, 2 5 , 10 20, mile etc,) that I have no idea which transformer I need.

I am an licensed electrician and can wire buildings, houses, and do just about anything with normal electricity ,etc. but electronics is gives me a fit. Hope you can help.

Thanks

Bladerunner

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I am in peaceful Canada and I don't understand why you must electrocute a visitor.
The only criminals around here (visiting Americans) are in jail.

Oh, animals? Cows roam around in cities in India, not here. There were some cows on a farm near my home 30 years ago. Now all the nearby farms (and animals) are gone.