All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > All About Circuits Commmunity Forums > Feedback and Suggestions

Notices

Feedback and Suggestions Forum for providing feedback and suggestions about All About Circuits, including corrections to the e-book. This forum is not for getting help with technical questions.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:28 AM

In the Fuses Chapter in the DC Volume there is the following sentence
Quote:
Neither fuses nor circuit breakers were not designed to open in the event of a person getting shocked
This sentence has a double negative and thus reverses the meaning of what I beilieve the author intended it to say. I believe the correct saying would be

Quote:
Neither fuses nor circuit breakers were designed to open in the event of a person getting shocked
All I did was remove the word "not" highlighted in bold above.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:29 PM

In the "Factors Affecting Capacitance" chapter in the DC Volume there is the following sentence that I believe is a bit too vauge and abstract

Quote:
PLATE AREA: All other factors being equal, greater plate gives greater capacitance; less plate gives less capacitance.
I think it would read much better the following way, changes highlighted in bold.

Quote:
PLATE AREA: All other factors being equal, greater plate area gives greater capacitance; less plate area gives less capacitance.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:37 PM

I found another tiny typo, thought I would just post it here rather than starting a new thread.

In the "Practical Considerations" for Capacitors chapter the following sentence has a typo marked in bold

Quote:
Polarity: Some capacitors are manufactured so they can only tolerate applied voltage in one polarity but not the other. This is due to their construction: the dielectric is a microscopically thin layer if insulation deposited on one of the plates by a DC voltage during manufacture.
In cased you missed it, the if should be replaced by an of
Old 01-12-2005, 08:58 AM

Another typo in the Inductor Chapter under "Practical Considerations". Typo highlighted in bold

Quote:
Equivalent circuit: Since inductor wire has some resistance, and circuit design constraints typically demand the inductor be built to the smallest possible dimensions, there is not such thing as a "perfect" inductor
Not should be replaced with no
Old 01-12-2005, 09:16 AM

All About Circuits > Volume I - DC > Chapter 16: RC AND L/R TIME CONSTANTS > Voltage and current calculations

Quote:
The rise and fall of circuit values such as voltage in current in response to a transient is, as was mentioned before, asymptotic.
in should be and
Old 01-13-2005, 08:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to imported_jrap

Hi SiegeX!
Thanks so much for pointing out these mistakes. I'm going to let Dennis or Tony approve them first before I fix them here, as they are maintaining the book.

Thanks again
Old 01-16-2005, 09:56 AM

Im glad to be of help, it's the least I can do for such a great free resource. Have said that, here are two more I found in the same chapter:

All About Circuits > Volume II - AC > Chapter 3: REACTANCE AND IMPEDANCE -- INDUCTIVE > Series resistor-inductor circuits

Quote:
If we were to restrict ourselves to the use of only one form of notation, the best choice would be polar, because it is the only one that can be directly correlated to real measurements.
Change added in bold

Quote:
Across voltage across the resistor is in phase (0o shift) with the current through it; and the voltage across the inductor is +90o out of phase with the current going through it. We can verify this mathematically:
Extra "Across" needs to be removed.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:17 AM

All About Circuits > Volume II - AC > Chapter 3: REACTANCE AND IMPEDANCE -- INDUCTIVE > More on the "skin effect"

Quote:
This is simply an estimated figure of pure resistance for the conductor (that opposition to the AC flow of electrons which does dissipate power in the form of heat), corrected for the skin effect.
I think it reads better with "the" added.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:30 PM

All About Circuits > Volume II - AC > Chapter 4: REACTANCE AND IMPEDANCE -- CAPACITIVE > AC capacitor circuits

Quote:
However, we need to keep in mind that voltage and current are not in phase here. As was shown earlier, the current has a phase shift of +90o with respect to the voltage. If we represent these phase angles of voltage and current mathematically, we can calculate the phase angle of the inductor's reactive opposition to current.
As you can see from the chapter heading, "inductor's" should be replaced with "capacitor's"
Old 01-19-2005, 11:46 PM

All About Circuits > Volume II - AC > Chapter 5: REACTANCE AND IMPEDANCE -- R, L, AND C > Parallel R, L, and C

The following picture has an error, you will notice that you have "Vic" listed twice, once above the capacitor and once above the resistor. The one above the resistor should be labled Vir as per the spice file dictates.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Textbook Shock current path : Electrical Safety
Textbook Credits : Contributor List
Worksheet AC motor control circuits
Worksheet Overcurrent protection
Worksheet Lock-out / Tag-out
Worksheet Safety grounding
Worksheet Basic ammeter use
Textbook Fail-safe design : Ladder Logic
Textbook Protective relays : Electromechanical Relays