Help About Center Tap Transformer of UPS

libra

Joined Jul 27, 2012
I have buy the Center Tape Transformer of 500W from over local market and i do not how to connect with AC because it has many terminals. i am attaching the pictures.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
First, you have to use your DMM to measure all possible combinations of coil resistances, to skull out which are the primary coil leads, and which are your secondaries.

Secondly, where are you, what is your level of expertise, and what is the voltage you will be feeding the primary with ??

I probably have a second-to-none collection of salvaged transformers, and have a system given me by another technician on board for rating coils, which can likely be found in the textbooks.

Clarify what you have and what you intend to do with it, and we'll go from there.

Good question R!f@@ didn't even consider that........:rolleyes: see below......

Last edited:

libra

Joined Jul 27, 2012
First, you have to use your DMM to measure all possible combinations of coil resistances, to skull out which are the primary coil leads, and which are your secondaries.

Secondly, where are you, what is your level of expertise, and what is the voltage you will be feeding the primary with ??

I probably have a second-to-none collection of salvaged transformers, and have a system given me by another technician on board for rating coils, which can likely be found in the textbooks.

Clarify what you have and what you intend to do with it, and we'll go from there.

Good question R!f@@ didn't even consider that........:rolleyes: see below......
From 7 to 1 the resistance increases and these wire are primary wires.

I live in Pakistan. i did bachelor in telecom. i am using this transformer in ups. i am feeding 220V 50hz at primary. At secondary i am getting 12V. this transformer is center tap.

i also attach some more pictures.

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
That thing is like child's play mate.

It's just a center tap transformer. The Secondary has Thicker wire coming out. Primary has much thinner wires

All u gotta do is leave all the loops alone and give AC to the both ends of the Primary (which has thin wires).

The loops are to parallel the primary for a 110VAC operation if needed. And this should be done by cutting the loop and wire them accordingly. Which is way beyond you buddy, so it's best not to touch them.

I believe u get 220VAC mains.

Just leave all the loops taped to the transformer.

Connect mains to the ends of the thinner wires (Primary) ... leave all the the loops as it is.

The secondary has thicker wire windings. Measure ur Secondary across the thicker wire ends

libra

Joined Jul 27, 2012
That thing is like child's play mate.

It's just a center tap transformer. The Secondary has Thicker wire coming out. Primary has much thinner wires

All u gotta do is leave all the loops alone and give AC to the both ends of the Primary (which has thin wires).

The loops are to parallel the primary for a 110VAC operation if needed. And this should be done by cutting the loop and wire them accordingly. Which is way beyond you buddy, so it's best not to touch them.

I believe u get 220VAC mains.

Just leave all the loops taped to the transformer.

Connect mains to the ends of the thinner wires (Primary) ... leave all the the loops as it is.

The secondary has thicker wire windings. Measure ur Secondary across the thicker wire ends
If i do not do it, how i can learn and became expert.