All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 AM

Default Power "off" delay timer

I'd like to build a 12V one shot delay timer which would arm when the ignition key is turned "on" and start countdown (3-4 min) when key is turned OFF. So, the key OFF is a triggering event.

I found this circuit at http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html
and need help in determining values of C1,R1 to achieve 3-4 min delay or making it adjustable. Do I have the right circuit?

Power OFF Delay Circuits

These circuits will delay the removal of power to an external circuit by using mechanical relays or transistors. Other output control devices could also be used.

Thank you for your help

Manny

Last edited by Manfred Von Steinborn; 06-26-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

What application is this circuit intended for?

I wish I was the best at what I would do, and what I would do wouldn't be pretty.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:07 PM

It is intended to keep the engine/pump compartment exhaust/cooling fan going for couple of minutes after shuting off the engine.

Last edited by Manfred Von Steinborn; 07-23-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfred Von Steinborn View Post
It is intended to keep the engine compartment exhaust/cooling fan going for couple of minutes after shuting off the engine.
Isn't that normally done with a thermal switch?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfred Von Steinborn View Post
I'd like to build a 12V one shot delay timer which would arm when the ignition key is turned "on" and start countdown (3-4 min) when key is turned OFF. So, the key OFF is a triggering event.

I found this circuit at http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html
and need help in determining values of C1,R1 to achieve 3-4 min delay or making it adjustable. Do I have the right circuit?

Power OFF Delay Circuits

These circuits will delay the removal of power to an external circuit by using mechanical relays or transistors. Other output control devices could also be used.

Thank you for your help

Manny
No pin 4 needs to be connected to pin 8, then it should work, i take it S1 is the ignition key ?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Pin 4 of a 555 must be connected to Vcc for the chip to work correctly. Pin 4 at low shuts the 555 down.

This appears to be an automotive thread. This is not allowed at AAC, but since I am not quite certain I have refrained from closing it.

If it is please let us know, and then move on to a different subject. Automotive is a firm restriction on this site.

General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input. Thanks for the verbage Wookie.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 AM

It is for my boat. I'm trying to save the compartment fiberglass cover from deterioration.
So, how about C1,R1 values?

Last edited by Manfred Von Steinborn; 06-27-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Just got home from work, but I'll look at it when I get a chance.

General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input. Thanks for the verbage Wookie.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:26 PM

Default tERMINALS 4 AND 5?

My calculations show for C1=100uF and R1=1 M ohm, timing cycle = 110 sec
?
Should I follow pin 4&5 typical connection recomendations, per notes below?

<H4> </H4><H4> </H4><H4>LM555 Timer Internal Circuit Block Diagram</H4>

RESET And CONTROL Terminal Notes

Most of the circuits at this web site that use the LM555 and LM556 timer chips do not show connections for the RESET and CONTROL inputs. This was done in order to keep the schematics as simple as possible.
If the RESET terminal of a 555 or 556 timer is not going to be used, it is normal practice to connect this input to the supply voltage. If the RESET terminal is left unconnected the operation of the timer will not be affected, however, the RESET of CMOS version of these timers should not be left unconnected as the inputs of these devices are more sensitive and this may cause problems.
In many cases the CONTROL input does not require a bypass capacitor if a well regulated power supply is used. However, it is good practice to place a 0.1 microfarad (C2) capacitor at this terminal to minimize voltage spikes during transitions of the timer's output transistors.
It is also good practice to place a 0.1uF bypass capacitor (C1) across the power supply and located as close to the IC as possible. This will also reduce voltage spikes when the output transistors of the timer change states.
Typical Pin 4 And 5 Connections

Note - If the period of the power supply variations is short when compared to the period of the timer, the overall effect of C2 is reduced.
For example; If the power supply - ripple voltage is 120 Hz and the oscillator frequency is 1000 Hz then C2 will have greater benefit than if the oscillator frequency is 10 Hz.
Therefore, at low astable frequencies or long monostable times the effectiveness of a capacitor at the CONTROL input is less than at higher frequencies and short pulse times.

Last edited by Manfred Von Steinborn; 06-27-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:50 PM

Thank you for your help. Any additional thoughts/advice?

Last edited by Manfred Von Steinborn; 07-23-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Textbook CMOS 555 LONG DURATION MINIMUM PARTS RED LED FLASHER : 555 Timer Circuits