how to create a delay in circuit

cyxstudio

Joined Apr 18, 2012
hi i am completely new to Electronics i need to create a motor circuit that will have a 10 sec delay before the motor starts running when the circuit is close.

i tried to do some google on this and it says a 555 IC and RC circuit will do the job , some says 555 is not needed. but im totally new and i dun understand the sample circuit.

is it really as easy as putting a resistor and capacitor on a series circuit ? using the formula T = R * C to calculate the time delay?

If the answer is no , may someone please show me how it is done. thanks a lot

Felo

Joined Feb 20, 2012
Making RC based delay circuits it very straightforward, but in the real world, components have some tolerance, the more the time you are trying to achieve, the more error you get due to component tolerance, anyway, 10 or so secs are very much tolerable with a 555, should you need more presicion, I would recomend going MCU

whale

Joined Dec 21, 2008
Time delay can be achieved easily by using RC circuits, 555 IC circuits or by using programmable digital electronics. The critical thing in your project is to switch the motor on after the time delay – direct switching by using relay may lead to spark and may spoil your switching circuit due to high inrush current. In case your motor is permanent magnet motor, this may demagnetize your magnet.
Which type of motor you use?.

cyxstudio

Joined Apr 18, 2012
Time delay can be achieved easily by using RC circuits, 555 IC circuits or by using programmable digital electronics. The critical thing in your project is to switch the motor on after the time delay – direct switching by using relay may lead to spark and may spoil your switching circuit due to high inrush current. In case your motor is permanent magnet motor, this may demagnetize your magnet.
Which type of motor you use?.
yes DC permanent magnet brushed motor.....