PSpice

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
Hi everyone, i recently purchased an old book on PSpice and it tells me how to manually write a netlist and then get PSpice to output a file with the results.

The only software I can find is OrCAD 16.0 and I dont know if I can manually input a text file into PSpice from OrCAD. I know how to design a circuit on OrCAD and then simulate it, but I dont want to design a schematic, I want to manually write the netlist myself. Can I do this on OrCAD or do I need to download an older version of PSpice and if so, what do you recommend I download? Im looking for something taht lets me write the circuit file myself starting with its name and ending with .END and then process this text file using spice.

I know some of you may wonder why id want to do that when I can just get capture to do it for me but its for learning purposes and Id like to know how the netlists work, its like teaching a child how to use a calculator but not teaching them how to add or subtract so id rather know whats going on behind the scenes and im interetsed to see how it used to be done.

Thanks in advance for any help, any links to old spice simulators that allow you to put your own text file in will be appreciated. Thanks and all the best

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I don't know about PSpice but I know you can input netlist files in LTspice (free Spice program from Linear Technology). You do it from the File (Open) command which gives you options for the types of files to open, which includes netlist files.

You might check the File (Open) command on PSpice to see if it has the same option.

Long ago the only way I could do a Spice simulation was to input a netlist. It was done on a batch input central mainframe computer and you had to wait several hours until you got the results back. If you had errors in the simulation and it took several iterations of running the program, it could take days to complete the simulation. Ah, the good old days. :rolleyes:

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
thankyou, i took your advice and downloaded LTSPICE.

Does the syntax vary depending on which SPICE program you use or are all the same?

I guess I will find out as soon as I test these circuits out later.

Thanks for your advice

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Each Spice generally has some special commands and functions that are unique to that version, but the general syntax for active and passive devices, simulation commands, and the basic voltage and current sources is usually the same.