All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > Homework Help

Notices

Homework Help Stuck on a textbook question or coursework? Cramming for a test and need help understanding something? Post your questions and attempts here and let others help.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:47 AM

Default Output Signal Swing of CE amplifier

Hey all, I ran into a wall while trying to design a common emitter amplifier. I was wondering if someone here would be able to point me in the right direction:

Specifications:
Common Emitter BJT amplifier with an Emitter Resistance and two coupling capacitors (assumed infinite for now)
Transistor 2N2222 (assume =100 and )

Design Goals:
Voltage Gain of -20 V/V
Output Voltage Swing ΔV=10V peak-to-peak
Input Resistance greater than 10kΩ

Attempt at Solution:
I thought to set to best bias the circuit. Thus . This would give a transconductance of .

Since the signal generator impedance is low:

The gain equation is . We can solve for . Which makes , , and .

I'm using a rule of thumb and making the current through the voltage divider equal to one tenth of the emitter current. Thus . Since the sum of the two resistances needs to equal and the voltage divider has to make , then and .

Finally, the collector current will be at a maximum when the amplifier is in saturation:

So by my math, the output signal should be linear up to 13Vpp. However, when I simulate this in SPICE (0.5V signal at 1kHz), my output signal is clipped above at 6.5V. I am sure that there is small mistake somewhere, but I have been unable to pick it out. I can provide more detail on how I derived my equations if necessary. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

P.S.: Sorry for the poor formatting, this is my first post!

Last edited by DrWatts; 03-16-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 PM
E-book Developer

I don't believe you included the capacitor and the 47k load resistor in your calculations.
Keep in mind that the cap always has 7.5V across it. When the transistor cuts off, you are left with a series circuit between +15V and ground consisting of 10k, 7.5V, and 47k. This means that the peak current into the load is (15-7.5)/(10k+47k). Multiply this current by the 47k load resistance, and you get the peak output voltage.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Performance-based assessments for analog integrated circuit competencies
Worksheet Performance-based assessments for semiconductor circuit competencies
Worksheet Class A BJT amplifiers
Worksheet Bipolar junction transistors in active mode
Textbook BJT quirks : Bipolar Junction Transistors
Textbook Feedback : Bipolar Junction Transistors
Textbook Biasing calculations : Bipolar Junction Transistors
Textbook The cascode amplifier : Bipolar Junction Transistors
Textbook The common-collector amplifier : Bipolar Junction Transistors
Textbook The common-emitter amplifier : Bipolar Junction Transistors