About magnet

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
That sounds very dangerous. With that voltage and current you will get extreme heating in the wire and it could easily cause burns or fires. Why does it need to be that big? I assume you're just rectifying the AC from a wall socket. I recommend you use battery power instead. The setup you describe is extremely dangerous and could even kill you.

Der Strom

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
I can't even tell if it might be dangerous because I havent a clue what he is talking about.

You can use a magnet to generate electricity - Is that what you are talking about doing almu?

Are you talking about generating 110Vdc @ 9A? Or using 110Vdc @ 9A to do something with the magnet.

Dangerous? Lots of things are dangerous. Anyone drive a car? Take medicine? Go to the hospital? Have sharp instruments around the house like a knife?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
To the OP. I see you have several postings with the exact same topic and question. Please then you start a thread. Stay in that thread as long as you discuss that topic. It is very confusing for people trying to help. The way you do it.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Dangerous? Lots of things are dangerous. Anyone drive a car? Take medicine? Go to the hospital? Have sharp instruments around the house like a knife?
Most of the things you describe here are fairly easy to control. Electricity, on the other hand, is a completely different matter. You can't control electricity. It does what it wants, which is take the path of least resistance. If you become a part of that path (which is easy to do accidentally), then you will get a shock, and with 110vdc 9A, you will probably die from it. You also can't easily control the heating of the magnet once it has started, and if it is between you and the outlet, you could have a problem.

I'm not saying "it's dangerous, so make sure you're careful". I'm saying "it's dangerous, so you shouldn't do it". There are so many things that could go wrong that could lead to drastic consequences. I'm strongly recommending against it because (and I do not mean this as an insult to the OP) honestly, it's a very stupid thing to do. It's like sticking a paperclip in a wall socket. It's dangerous, so you shouldn't do it. You wouldn't say "sticking a paperclip in a wall socket is dangerous, so you can do it as long as you're careful". That's just not smart.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
QUOTE - "You can't control electricity."

You can control electricity! That is what this forum is all about.
If you couldn't control it there would be no TV, Radio, iPod, Computer, electricity delivered to your house etc.

QUOTE - I'm not saying "it's dangerous, so make sure you're careful". I'm saying "it's (IT IS) dangerous, so you shouldn't do it".

?????

Ok! those things I mentioned as dangerous we shouldn't do??? Because they are controllable and electricity is NOT??? Sorry just can't follow your reasoning.

I got started in 'electricity' sticking a knife in a wall outlet, and I've been in unpleasant contact with 800Vdc on the plate of the final power amplifier of a ham transmitter. Would I undo those because they were dangerous? NO! Absolutely Not! I learned more from those experiences than if I'd read it in a book! But neither did I have my children do them because I had done it. I certainly new better than that. Danger is NOT to be avoided. Rather experienced with understanding and caution being aware of the risk vs reward. And yes there is possible reward in doing something that is dangerous. Where would we be today if our predecessors had avoided all danger? Some stupidly go into danger - many or most respect and engage in danger and I believe the world is better for it. And some give their lives in danger so that we might live better lives in peace.

Sorry DER I just simply disagree with you on this!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
QUOTE - "You can't control electricity."

You can control electricity! That is what this forum is all about.
If you couldn't control it there would be no TV, Radio, iPod, Computer, electricity delivered to your house etc.

QUOTE - I'm not saying "it's dangerous, so make sure you're careful". I'm saying "it's (IT IS) dangerous, so you shouldn't do it".

?????

Ok! those things I mentioned as dangerous we shouldn't do??? Because they are controllable and electricity is NOT??? Sorry just can't follow your reasoning.

I got started in 'electricity' sticking a knife in a wall outlet, and I've been in unpleasant contact with 800Vdc on the plate of the final power amplifier of a ham transmitter. Would I undo those because they were dangerous? NO! Absolutely Not! I learned more from those experiences than if I'd read it in a book! But neither did I have my children do them because I had done it. I certainly new better than that. Danger is NOT to be avoided. Rather experienced with understanding and caution being aware of the risk vs reward. And yes there is possible reward in doing something that is dangerous. Where would we be today if our predecessors had avoided all danger? Some stupidly go into danger - many or most respect and engage in danger and I believe the world is better for it. And some give their lives in danger so that we might live better lives in peace.

Sorry DER I just simply disagree with you on this!
You're free to disagree with me. I have no problem with that. I am simply concerned for the safety and well-being of the OP.

You CAN'T control electricity. You CAN manipulate it. You can put components, devices, etc so that electricity flows through them and do what you want, but you can't CONTROL it. It does whatever it darn well pleases, regardless of whether it makes a fire, electrocutes someone, or otherwise.

As for the "dangerous so you shouldn't do it" quote, I'm talking about what the OP is doing. You CAN'T control electricity as easily as you can control a knife. I would consider a knife to be much safer than electricity at that voltage and current. I'm saying what the OP is trying to do is dangerous and SHOULDN'T be done, whereas using a knife is dangerous but can be done safely.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
8 car batteries in series. use a fuse and appropriately rated disconnect.

BTW I usually use insulators to keep the electricity out of the people tank

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
The real problem here is that we have little information on what the OP has in mind. He may be planning to use a professionally designed lifting magnet, but just as easily could be planning to make his own from unsuitable materials.

Perhaps it would be better to reserve judgement on the advisability of what he is doing until/unless more information is forthcoming. Whatever his setup may be, there is insufficient information for us to do more generally than advise caution.

I have to say though that I am getting more than a little exasperated with people who fire off such vague enquiries. It baffles me why they don't give fuller descriptions - isn't in their interest to do so?

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Adjuster - That was exactly the thought in my first post in this thread. But I did not jump on him for whatever he was doing as being dangerious without even knowing what he was talking about.

DER - If manipulating electricity is not controlling it I guess we're at a stalemate because electricity obeys laws of physics and is pretty well understood and used immensely in a miriad of industries to perform designed tasks in a well proscribed manner that belie your statment that "It does whatever it darn well pleases". So guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this. My career was based on controlling electricity to do useful work.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I reread the original post, and it sounds like he already has a magnet. What we really need to know from him is if it is professionally made or if it is something he just lashed together and expects to work. I have noticed he hasn't posted since he started this thread, but we need the OP to give us more information. I made my posts with the assumption that he made the magnet, which I guess could be incorrect. I think before this thread continues, we need more information.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Absolutely! In fact, I begin to wonder if it would be better if first posts were required to have more content than at present.

I might raise such a suggestion under "feedback": perhaps I am getting more impatient because I'm older, not in great health, but increasingly queries containing such little information annoy me.

Do these characters think that we all have the second sight, or alternatively that we enjoy nothing better than a day or two of bulletin-board ping-pong to tease out what they could have asked for in their first post???

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Semantics...the root of every argument on a forum.

It is very simple.

110v @ 9A is a dangerous amount of direct voltage/current for a human to hold on to.

I think we can at least all agree on that.

Almu posted something else regarding a 220 VAC rectifier circuit. That thread was promptly closed by a super moderator for being dangerous and against forum restriction guidelines.

Almu is clearly trying to ask the same question differently (?) so as to not get the thread closed again.

Almu better be working with someone he trusts to throw that power switch; that's all I gotta say.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Almu, please try to post pictures or diagrams. Much easier than a thousand words, especially in a foreign language. (Sorry if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing English is not your first language?)