All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > All About Circuits Commmunity Forums > Off-Topic

Notices

Off-Topic A place to discuss anything other than electronics with other members. General conversation allowed, but please have consideration for your fellow members.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 PM

Default Power Generation Magnets

Today I recieved a gift of a framed poster, where a rotor was being lowered into a stator at Hoover Dam during the period - 1939.

It occurred to me, how exactly do you handle and manufacture magnets that size?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 PM

I believe they are only magnetic when current flows through the copper wire which is coiled around them.

Such large generators as the ones you mention will always use electromagnets and not permanent magnets.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:50 AM

Kudos Kermit. You're quite right about that.

Large generators use field coils in place of permanent magnets. After the generator is running, a portion of the electric current that it generates is fed back into the field coils to maintain the magnetic field required to continue generating electricity. By varying how much current is fed into the field coils, a generator's output voltage can be regulated fairly accurately. Once a generator is stopped and electricity is no longer produced, the field coils have to be 'excited' VIA a external source or a battery in order to start the electric generation process again.

Here is a fairly well written beginners article on the subject. http://www.generatorguide.net/howgeneratorworks.html
Old 12-17-2011, 01:09 AM

Yes you are right. I was never aware of permanent magnets not being used in power generation. Thank you
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Fundamentals of radio communication
Worksheet AC motor theory
Worksheet Mutual inductance
Worksheet DC motor theory
Worksheet DC generator theory
Worksheet Intermediate electromagnetism and electromagnetic induction
Worksheet Magnetic units of measurement
Worksheet Basic electromagnetism and electromagnetic induction
Worksheet Magnetism
Video Lecture Magnetism and Electromagnetism - Basic Electronics and Units of Measure