All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 PM

Default Opto interrupter control for relays

I need to use a couple of transmission type opto interrupters to drive the coils of latching 12vdc relays. One opto interrupter will drive one relay coil and the other interrupter drives two relay coils. Each 12vdc relay coil requires 15mA of current to actuate. I am assuming that when the LED emitter beam is broken, the output of the interrupter's transistor will rise to allow the activation of the relay coil.

Any suggestions for how to spec out the opto interrupters, assuming a 12vdc supply will be providing the voltage for the interrupters' LED and output transistor? Also, how do I size the dropping resistor for the interrupter's LED voltage and the output collector resistor? Perhaps there is already a simple schematic of this application. Thanks to you all!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggoff View Post
I am assuming that when the LED emitter beam is broken, the output of the interrupter's transistor will rise to allow the activation of the relay coil.
You could use any high CTR optocoupler with open collector output, e.g. the 4N46.

However it sinks current (open collector). So when there is no LED current then the output transistor will not be conducting, i.e. your relay is OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggoff View Post
........ assuming a 12vdc supply will be providing the voltage for the interrupters' LED and output transistor? Also, how do I size the dropping resistor for the interrupter's LED voltage and the output collector resistor?
With the 4N46 you could adjust the LED current to 2mA and should be good to go for 30mA output current.

Attached Images
File Type: png relay optocoupler.PNG (13.2 KB, 29 views)

Old 11-10-2011, 11:37 PM

Default Optocoupler or Opto Interrupter

Thanks for the input and the schematic! I see that you suggest an optocoupler circuit, but in my application I have opto interrupters. I assume that the concepts involved are similar; would setting the resistance values for the opto interrupters follow the same guidelines?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:10 AM

Oops, sorry about that, I didn't read correctly your post.

I had a quick look at digikey.com, the common output current for opto interrupters seem to be much lower, not enough to drive 2 x 15mA relays.

The ones I saw have an open collector output too. So you could simply put a pull-up resistor of let's say 2.7k at the output and then feed the signal to drive a N-channel MOSFET. 2.7k to charge a gate is ok of it's not a high-speed application.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:34 AM

Thanks for the re-direction, it sounds like a simple enough way to go. I'm off to Digikey!
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Performance-based assessments for digital circuit competencies
Worksheet Latch circuits
Worksheet CMOS logic gates
Worksheet Open-loop opamp circuits
Worksheet Thyristor application circuits
Worksheet Bipolar junction transistors as switches
Textbook CMOS 555 LONG DURATION FLYBACK LED FLASHER : 555 Timer Circuits