All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Default Diode on relay coil

Hello,

On the schematic, the diode put across the coil 24vdc is 1N4003. I don't have this diode, but can I subsitute it to 1N4005?

Thanks

cnv
Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 PM

Yes
Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 PM

Thumbs up

Yes. The 4005 just has a higher PIV (600V), which you don't need, but will do the job nicely.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:23 AM

This diode suppress cemf of the relay coil.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Expert Member

You may wind up still getting spikes from the coil, as the 1N400x series of diodes don't have a specified turn-on time; so the turn-on time can vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer, and batch to batch.

If your relay coil is low current (<~80mA) consider using a 1N4148 or 1N914 switching diode. These diodes have extremely fast turn-on and recovery times.

Another technique is to use a small capacitor; 100pF to ~330pF, in parallel with the diode. The small capacitor causes the voltage spike to build much more slowly, which "buys time" for a slow diode to turn on. You don't want to use a cap very much larger than I mentioned above, as if you do, you will have high peak currents through the transistor or MOSFET that is used to power the coil.
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 PM

Hi,

SgtWookie has some good advise, if you are worry about relying on a devices unspecified characteristics.

However, it has been my experience that the 1N400x series of diodes work well for suppressing the back EMF pulse from most relays. Relay coils that have alot of turns on a steel core, means higher intra-winding capacitance and slow field colapse. This slows the EMF rise time down to where the 1N400x series diodes can easlily clamp the voltage to a volt or so.

Regards,
Ifixit
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Time-delay electromechanical relays
Worksheet Protective relay circuits
Worksheet High-reliability circuits
Worksheet Electromechanical relay logic
Worksheet Basic electromagnetic relays