All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Default position sensing

I want to locate the position of the robot ( x, y coordinates) by using a magnetic sensors with magnets located in the floor. How can i get the coordinate value from these sensors and can anyone suggest which type of sensors or magnetometers i can use?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 PM

If you want the thing in the floor to give its coordinates, why don't you look at RFID technology instead of magnets. Your robot could have an RFID reader on the bottom. As it moves over the RFID tags in the floor, they would broadcast their location in the room. Then, your robot would always know his location when it rolled over the tag.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 PM

Barcodes that the robot could read visually would be another approach. I don't see how you could encode position into the magnets unless you use several magnets together, with each one being one bit of data.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Hi in RFID scaning can i use the RFID tags and RFID reader of different companies?
since as i have seen it depends only on frequency of operation and transmission distance.
Can anyone clear my confusion.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM

RFID tags, Magnets, these all have one thing in common..... cost of the parts could get expensive....... why not use some IR Receiver/transmitter pairs..... create 4 IR beacons that emit pulses at different frequency rates, that way the robot "knows" which beacon it is receiving pulses from and can calculate the TOF (time of flight) for how long each beacons transmission takes to get to it, from there you should be able to triangulate the location of the robot in the room..... this will also give you the capabilities of moving the robot to different rooms easily without having to place a lot of magnets or RFID tags all over the floor.....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=IR+Beacons+for+robotics
Disclaimer: The example programs,circuits, projects and information I provide or post on this web site are for educational purposes only. By copying anything from this site posted by me, you agree to the "as is" nature of the programs, circuits, information and to the statements listed in this disclaimer.No warranty or liability is expressed or implied. Working with AC /DC voltages can be dangerous and even deadly. Proceed at your own risk!
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Advanced electromagnetism and electromagnetic induction
Textbook Brushless DC motor : Ac Motors
Worksheet Intermediate electromagnetism and electromagnetic induction
Worksheet Basic electromagnetism and electromagnetic induction
Worksheet Magnetism
Video Lecture Generation of Alternating Voltage - Alternating Current
Video Lecture Magnetism and Electromagnetism - Basic Electronics and Units of Measure
Textbook Sensing AC magnetic fields : Ac Circuits
Textbook Quantum physics : Solid-state Device Theory
Textbook Ammeter impact on measured circuit : Dc Metering Circuits