All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 PM

Default Capture HyperTerminal file

Hello
I am using HyperTerminal to read the data from rs232 now, and I want to send the data to another program after HyperTerminal. Does anybody know how to capture it? Or covert the file to text automatically? Or is there any other way to capture the data from rs232 directly?
Thanks!!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:26 PM

why do you keep opening different threads?? I already gave you some examples on how to do this..... what program are you trying to get the data into?? Maybe if you mention that information then someone can guide you better into doing what you want....
Disclaimer: The example programs,circuits, projects and information I provide or post on this web site are for educational purposes only. By copying anything from this site posted by me, you agree to the "as is" nature of the programs, circuits, information and to the statements listed in this disclaimer.No warranty or liability is expressed or implied. Working with AC /DC voltages can be dangerous and even deadly. Proceed at your own risk!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Using HyperTerminal to capture text is straight forward.
Go to Transfer menu and click on Capture Text...

If your data is not text you can write a simple program on just about any platform,
QuickBasic, Visual Basic, Matlab, LabView, or even a spreadsheet program with a comm converter module.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChips View Post
Using HyperTerminal to capture text is straight forward.
Go to Transfer menu and click on Capture Text...

He wants Hyperterminal to auto capture the data and capture it in a text file which he will import into another application.... there is no command line options to programatically extract the data into a text file without physically clicking on the options yourself in Hyperterminal...
Disclaimer: The example programs,circuits, projects and information I provide or post on this web site are for educational purposes only. By copying anything from this site posted by me, you agree to the "as is" nature of the programs, circuits, information and to the statements listed in this disclaimer.No warranty or liability is expressed or implied. Working with AC /DC voltages can be dangerous and even deadly. Proceed at your own risk!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Again we don't know what you are trying to do (because you keep ignoring request to explain in detail your process/problem) but using hyperterminal to do it is probably not the best way at all. There are so many other/better ways to capture data from a barcode scanner and process it.

If all you want to do is just fill up an excel file with multiple scanned barcodes to dump into a database its REALLY easy to just get a keyboard wedge scanner and your problems are solved. Then all you do is open excel and start scanning.. Each new barcode will automatically become a new row. voila DONE.. No programming of any sort necessary. You might have to enable a setting in the scanner software to include a carriage return after each scan but its usually like that by default.

Last edited by mcgyvr; 09-12-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 PM

I can't recall them specifically, but I've come across a couple of RS232 loggers that will append data to a file. Your program can then open the file and read it's contents.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

I run a BBS, an old fashioned telecom service that uses hyperterm and other terminal packages to do what you want. You need to pick a protocol, which is a transfer standard, on both ends. It really is pretty straight forward. They use names like Xmodem and Zmodem, but the main thing is it must be the same standard.

A BBS (Bulletin Board Service) is an automated system to do this. If you are doing this with another individual it is handy to have a second voice line to communicate.

You can also google for BBS lists in your area (you are a bit long distance for my BBS). You will get a lot of help in how to do this from these folks.

General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input. Thanks for the verbage Wookie.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Textbook Fundamentals of SPICE programming : Using The spice Circuit Simulation Program
Textbook Computer simulation of electric circuits : Ohm's Law