Boolean Algebra Help

Joepiper5

Joined Aug 3, 2011
Hey guys, Im struggling getting my head around this Boolean algebra stuff

Im stuck on where to start with what seems to be a simple problem:

f=(ab).c+d There is a bar over each variable plus a bar over the whole equation.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009

If you don't tell us where you're trying to go, any road will get you there... :p

I assume you want to simplify the expression -- but your notation is a bit strange. Is "ab" a single symbol or does it signify multiplication? I assume the period means multiplication. I'll assume the overbars denote negation, so look up De Morgan's Laws for some help to get started.

Joepiper5

Joined Aug 3, 2011
sorry about that, yes i need to simplify it so that the final expression is a Sum of Product expression with no bar appearing in the expression. I'll keep looking into it, the textbook been used brushes over the topic with only 1 example which seems to be much easier. sooo frustrating

Joepiper5

Joined Aug 3, 2011
lol. So i watched some videos i found on youtube and had a attempt,

I'll represent the bar with ' and double bar is ''

so f=(ab)' *c'+d' with a bar over the whole thing
-- =(ab)''+c''+d''
=(a''+b'')+c''+d'' since a''=a
=(a+b)+c+d

What do you think??

Joepiper5

Joined Aug 3, 2011
cant figure out how to enter it correctly into the calculator, i want to see it on paper too so i can see the process

Zazoo

Joined Jul 27, 2011
cant figure out how to enter it correctly into the calculator, i want to see it on paper too so i can see the process
Hello, you made a small mistake in your first step:

= (ab)''+c''+d''
When you break apart the top-most negation bar the + d' becomes * d'', like this:

= [(ab)''+c'']*d''

(Note the brackets to maintain the correct grouping of d'' with the remaining expression).

Also, in step 2: (ab)" = (ab), instead of (a"+b"). You can treat everything in the parentheses as a unit, so negating the negation just gives you back the original expression.

See if you can work it through again.
^Mike^

Last edited: