Capacitor Help

Mattdalley

Joined Aug 3, 2011
I have a 1000μf 6.3v capacitor that needs replaced.

1) Can I replace it with a capacitor that has a higher μf rating?
2) I have a 1500?? 6.3v capacitor, or what I believe is a capacitor, but I don't know if the 1500 is μf, nf, or pf.
3) I'm attaching a picture of what I believe is the capacitor I would use to replace the other one. And of the one needing replaced.

Really all I need to know is what the unit is on the silver capacitor in the picture and if I can use that to replace the black one.

Attachments

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
I'm not sure what the extra 500uF would do to the motherboards function. If it were me I wouldn't change it.

P.S. And don't forget to ground yourself and the PC casing while working on it and CLEANING IT!:eek:

Mattdalley

Joined Aug 3, 2011
Well the cap on the mother board "blew." So therefore I need to replace it. So should I just order one off the web or buy one somewhere else? And does the voltage matter or can I get a 1000μf 35v one from RadioShack?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I have a 1000μf 6.3v capacitor that needs replaced.

1) Can I replace it with a capacitor that has a higher μf rating?
2) I have a 1500?? 6.3v capacitor, or what I believe is a capacitor, but I don't know if the 1500 is μf, nf, or pf.
3) I'm attaching a picture of what I believe is the capacitor I would use to replace the other one. And of the one needing replaced.

Really all I need to know is what the unit is on the silver capacitor in the picture and if I can use that to replace the black one.
It should be 1500uF.

Can you find what the function of the blown capacitor is?

Mattdalley

Joined Aug 3, 2011
It should be 1500uF.

Can you find what the function of the blown capacitor is?

It's on a computer motherboard, so there's no telling what it does. But the one that needs replaced is 1000μf 6.3v. So what would happen if I replaced it with the 1500μf one 6.3v?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
It's on a computer motherboard, so there's no telling what it does. But the one that needs replaced is 1000μf 6.3v. So what would happen if I replaced it with the 1500μf one 6.3v?

What is the function of the one that needs to be replaced?

Can you post a picture of it and the components around it?

Mattdalley

Joined Aug 3, 2011
Last edited:

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
And I don't know what the function is.

I already did. http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32917&d=1312395267 It's the black one in the picture. It's near the memory (ram) slots on the motherboard. Also the power connector is nearby. The white thing on the left in the side view pic is the power connector.
It looks like it is used for a switching regulator since there is an inductor nearby. Its value its quite high, thus I guess it is used as an input capacitor to a step down regulator. Assuming the rest of the circuit can tolerate the greater inrush current, you can replace it with the 1500uF one.

Mattdalley

Joined Aug 3, 2011
It looks like it is used for a switching regulator since there is an inductor nearby. Its value its quite high, thus I guess it is used as an input capacitor to a step down regulator. Assuming the rest of the circuit can tolerate the greater inrush current, you can replace it with the 1500uF one.

Could I use one with 1000μf still but with 35v instead of 6.3v? Because I can get one of those at my local RadioShack. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102511

Last edited:

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Do you have any idea what cause the capacitor to blow? Chances are it could blow again, but it's worth a shot, the motherboard's a dead duck otherwise.

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
Do you have any idea what cause the capacitor to blow? Chances are it could blow again, but it's worth a shot, the motherboard's a dead duck otherwise.
Educated guess:
Capacitor plague.

Hold on a sec chaps, in any other circuit I'd say replacing a cap with a larger one should be fine, but on a motherboard? Aren't they a lot more precise than other circuits? I should say stick to the same value in microfarads in order to avoid all your base being set up the bomb (if you catch my drift) however, voltage rating can be 6.3 or more.