Problem with testing ADC0804

multiben

Joined Jun 2, 2011
Hello,
I am having difficulty setting up a test circuit for the ADC0804LCN analog to digital converter. I have read the data sheet about 100 times and am trying to set up a test to show a simple digital conversion using 8 LEDs as described in the datasheet.

The problem I am experiencing is that when I apply a voltage to Vin, all of the LEDs light up simultaneously. Even a voltage of 0v still lights the LEDs very faintly. As I increase the voltage to Vin (max 5v) the LEDs all increase in brightness rather than just have some on and some off as I expected.

Can anyone suggest some ways to trouble shoot this? Is there a mistake that I am likely making (I'm pretty new to this so I assume there is)?
Thanks,
Ben

multiben

Joined Jun 2, 2011
Hello yes that is the exact circuit.

The supply voltage at pin 20 is 5V and I am supplying almost exactly 2.5V to pin 9. However when I actually connect the wire to pin 9 the voltage at pin 9 drops to about 0.9V - I presume because I am using a potentiometer to supply the 2.5V? I fiddled with the pot to make it read 2.5V at pin 9, but I still get exactly the same result. All the LEDs change in unison.
Cheers,
Ben

multiben

Joined Jun 2, 2011
Hello,
Yes I read it and when I press the switch to momentarily ground WR and INTR the LEDs all become brighter while the switch is pressed and then return to the same state once it is released.

What could cause all the digital outputs to be operating like this? Obviously I'm missing something - I just can't figure out what.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

How and where is the input signal connected?
Is the input signal a DC voltage?
When it is AC the leds will probably change states and seem to light all.

Bertus

multiben

Joined Jun 2, 2011
Hi,
The input signal is coming from a 12V DC power adapter through a 7805 voltage regulator through a 5k potentiometer. The output of the pot is then connected to pin6 of the chip. I've measured this signal on an oscilloscope and it is definitely DC.
Cheers,
Ben

multiben

Joined Jun 2, 2011
Oh my god. I'm such an idiot.

On my bread board I have a ZIF socket where I plug in my chip. And I had connected the ZIF to the breadboard with all the pins offset by one. So what I thought was pin 2 was actually pin 1 and so on. No wonder I was getting bizarre results. I've been puzzling over this for days now and it wasn't until I rebuilt the circuit on a different bread board with no ZIF socket that i realised my mistake.