I need a latest & good Performance SUPERCAPACITOR

naresh19ch

Joined May 19, 2011
Hi friendsss..............
I am doing My Masters project in ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM USING SUPERCAPACITORS" any one could please know to me which Supercapacitor is best one to use my circuit??
my concept view SC have to be connected in series because their voltage rating is geerally low compared to convential capacitors. in parllel connection increases the power and energy storage capability..............
so any one could please send me circuts ( CAPACITORS IN SERIAL Connection and parllel connection) & any new idea about my project............
how can i show SC application........(SC= supercapacitor).

Thanking all.............
CHEERS
NARESH

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Naresh,
How do you expect an answer without defining even a single variable/specification about your supposed circuit? Are you trying to store energy for a single LED or a full automobile, etc...

Not to mention isn't this YOUR masters project.. Aren't YOU supposed to determine this information by looking at various super capacitors and their advantages/disadvantages based on this mystery circuit.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
It doesn't matter if they are in parallel or in series, you will store the same amount of energy. Energy = .5CV^2.

Two 10 farad 5 volt capacitors in parallel give you the equivalent of a 20f/ 5v capacitor. Its energy is: .5(20)(5^2) = 250J

The same two 10 farad 5 volt caps in series give you the equivalent of a 5f/10v capacitor. Its energy is: .5(5)(10^2) = 250J

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There is some interesting vaporware out there that people keep promising will come out any time now. It has some serious investors, so I suspect there are technical issues they aren't willing to discuss. I think it was supposed to be a 100F at 10KV, meant for cars. At those energy levels if something goes pop it is a blast, literally.

Don't know if it is something you are interested, but I took a chance.

Google EEStor

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
There is some interesting vaporware out there that people keep promising will come out any time now. It has some serious investors, so I suspect there are technical issues they aren't willing to discuss. I think it was supposed to be a 100F at 10KV, meant for cars. At those energy levels if something goes pop it is a blast, literally.

Don't know if it is something you are interested, but I took a chance.

Google EEStor
EEstor's website looks pretty dead. Zenn is going to introduce its electric car with EEstor technology in 2009. Some other comment dates to 2008.

http://eestorbatteries.com/waiting_for_proof_eestor.html

Maybe they were snorted so much of that 99.9994% Barium Titanate powder they didn't have enough for the capacitor.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
EEstor's website looks pretty dead. Zenn is going to introduce its electric car with EEstor technology in 2009. Some other comment dates to 2008.

http://eestorbatteries.com/waiting_for_proof_eestor.html

Maybe they were snorted so much of that 99.9994% Barium Titanate powder they didn't have enough for the capacitor.
Thing is, keep looking. You picked one website among many. There is interesting movement in the financial stuff. the people paying for it. There are other articles coming out, I suspect the website has already done what they want it do. There are a lot of blogs still tracking these guys, they don't appear to be scammers. Like I said, interesting vaporware.

Last edited:

naresh19ch

Joined May 19, 2011
Hi every buddy Thanks so much to all for gave a interesting replays. .........
i have to charge my laptop ...through Super capacitor my pc need 19.5volts input & 3.3A current.. so could you please know me < suitable capacitor model parameters..capacitance.
=> why super capacitors are better compare to conventional capacitors ..could you tell me internal materials........... thank you so much

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hi every buddy Thanks so much to all for gave a interesting replays. .........
i have to charge my laptop ...through Super capacitor my pc need 19.5volts input & 3.3A current.. so could you please know me < suitable capacitor model parameters..capacitance.
=> why super capacitors are better compare to conventional capacitors ..could you tell me internal materials........... thank you so much
For someone writing a masters thesis this doesn't ring true.

One huge difference between a supercapacitor and a battery, the voltage is not constant on the supercap. Anytime you start talking about a supercap as if it were a battery it seems to show a lack of understanding

As to why they are better, this is another beginner's question. It is size and current capacity, nothing more.

Making a capacitor that is rated in Farads used to mean they were huge, as in physically enormous. Supercaps are small physically. Usually they can handle high current surges.

The eestor cap I referred you to is supposed to handle thousands of volts. The energy density is staggering, and a battery can handle only a fraction of that. I suspect the energy density is part of the problem, when something with huge amounts of energy fails it is like a bomb going off.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
The eestor cap I referred you to is supposed to handle thousands of volts. The energy density is staggering, and a battery can handle only a fraction of that. I suspect the energy density is part of the problem, when something with huge amounts of energy fails it is like a bomb going off.
Case and point, lipo explosions.
And that's small in comparison.
Standard capacitor banks alreaady contain more than enough energy to effectively vaporize the better part of a limb.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Define capacitor bank. 5,000 µF ain't gonna do squat. 100F at 12VDC ain't gonna do squat unless you short it dead out. Now if it has 100KV, maybe, but like I've said before, generalizations will get you into trouble with engineering subjects, and starting an argument over something as vague as capacitor banks (with no definitions) is looking for a fight without a cause.

As I recall the EEStor was rated for something like 8KV at 40 Farad. I suspect that is enough to create a nice fireball. It will drive an average family car 600 miles, and since it is a cap will take a charge very quickly. It isn't what they are telling us about this cap, it's what they aren't telling us. Even if it had a MTBF of 50 million hours, vaporizing half the family car and the family inside is probably a showstopper.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Perhaps, but the subject at hand is a supercapacitor. I've given some hypothetical specs. If the EEStor ever comes out for real it will a technological revolution and many, many fronts. In addition to cars rail guns probably become real overnight, as will EMP bombs.

Because of the energy density it needs to be safe. For example, gasoline doesn't usually go up from a collision (excuding the Pinto). I suspect this will make a decent flash and a nice boom.

A traditional capacitor bank is not going to be in car or a home (energy resaviour), a super capacitor might.

Can't look at the video right now, but I will later.