All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 AM

Question Advice on soldering station

Hello again.

I am currently looking for a quality soldering station for my home lab. I have been saving for a while for it, so you can suggest at will that will later sort through the cost.

Here are the terms:
- needs to be temperature-controlled (most people say to get the digital type)
- i intend on only using lead-free stuff (high melting point, ~230C vs ~185C for 60/40)
- i'm not doing proninja work here, just hobbyist (though i would like to further on to make quality projects)
- while it is for soldering stuff, i like to scavenge components from old (or not so old) equipment, so it must be adequate for desoldering
- i don't do SMD/T, just through-hole
So far i have seen lots of recommendations regarding the:
- Weller WD1002 (the WESD51 is not suitable for lead-free): http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...c=037103215475
- Hakko 937 (with 907 iron) (the 936 uses a rotary switch for temp control and the 938 has 100W power, vs 50W): http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_938.html
- Xytronic 137ESD: http://www.xytronic.com/pi/p-137esd.htm
(The Hakko gets glowing recommendations in a series of reviews/posts across the web, even more than the Wellers.)

What do you recommend?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:52 AM

Location: SF Bay Peninsula, California, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Send a message via MSN to kender Send a message via Yahoo to kender

I have Weller EC2002M, and I'm fully satisfied by it. It has temperature control with digital readout for temperatuer and setpoint.
However, I'm still using leaded solder, because I have a big supply of it
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 AM

I bought the Xytronic LF-1000. It's temperature controlled, it can do lead free, it's nice and powerful and the tips are cheap.

It's easily up to the standard of a metcal although i'm not sure if the tip will last as long. Overally i'm really pleased with it, although i'm sure there are plenty of other good irons out there...

http://www.xytronic-usa.com/LF-1000_index.htm

Last edited by goodbyegti; 04-04-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Soldering
Textbook Setting up a home lab : Introduction