All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > All About Circuits Commmunity Forums > Off-Topic

Notices

Off-Topic A place to discuss anything other than electronics with other members. General conversation allowed, but please have consideration for your fellow members.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 04:29 PM

Default How do you read numbers+decimal in voltmeter/multimeter

Hello,

I am viewing videos at Youtube about electronics and the guy reads the readings in voltmeter (the numbers) let's say 3.58, he reads it three decimal five eight.

Eh? I read it three point fifty eight.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:34 PM

Different people/shops have their own jargons. If I were still at the Instrument Lab, I might read off "about three and a half jolts".

Obviously though, "three point five eight volts" is very correct and easy to understand.
Lightfire (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

It's really up to what you want to pass across: If you are talking to a friend you might even say "three and a half". If, on the other hand, you want to communicate some very crucial information, saying "three poing five eight" might not stress the importance of the measurement enough.

I wish I was the best at what I would do, and what I would do wouldn't be pretty.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Round these parts it would be three point five eight. The newer generation that grew up with the internet (I didn't) might say three dot five eight.

As for the displays, I've always heard them referred to as three and a half digits.

General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input. Thanks for the verbage Wookie.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:52 AM

It depends. I would would say three point five eight volts. If I were communicating it over the radio, say SSB, I would use the phonetic ... three symbol for decimal point five eight volts, and if necessary, spell it out ... tango hotel romeo echo echo, symbol for decimal point, foxtrot india victor echo, echo india golf hotel tango, volts.

In writing, could be spelled out, but more commonly I'd simply put 3.58 V for dc and 3.58 Vac for AC.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

I was reading Georacer's response about writing a decimal number. I'm not sure of the application, but they seem to use a comma where a period is. Since GeoR has responded in this thread maybe he can give us a better view why some European's go that route, to me it seems silly and change for the sake of change.

General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input. Thanks for the verbage Wookie.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:20 AM

Here, in the Philippines, we frequently (almost always) pronounce it as three point fifty eight.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

I can't find an SI specification for the decimal mark and the thousand separator, so I guess you can't blame the Europeans for breaking a habit.

In the meantime here's an interesting article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator
Notice the two groups of countries that use different systems of notation.
Apart from the group where USA belongs being outnumbered, consider also that most of the countries in your group belong to the english and american sphere of influence. China is a major exception, though.

I wish I was the best at what I would do, and what I would do wouldn't be pretty.

Last edited by Georacer; 04-30-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Marsden View Post
I was reading Georacer's response about writing a decimal number. I'm not sure of the application, but they seem to use a comma where a period is. Since GeoR has responded in this thread maybe he can give us a better view why some European's go that route, to me it seems silly and change for the sake of change.
Bill I will tell you why the day the Americans start to use proper metric measurements units. Maybe you can give us a better view why America go that stubborn route
For my own part I stopped using comma as decimal point. A long time ago. It caused to much trouble with my software. But then talking I would still say three comma fifty eight. Then talking casual I would most probably say. The voltage was about 3 and a half volt. Unless needed. I do not pay much attention to some hundredth volts
Old 04-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Heh, it is why American English measurements are still in use today, we wrote the original software (now I know why the EU is always after M/S!) and we made the first chips. It is hard to break a standard once it is cast in concrete. America just got to set some standards first.

Makes you wonder what an archeologist will say several thousand years from now. Bet neither system will exist by then (any takers?).

As much stuff as we buy from China (again, America started it, the rest of the world followed later) I'm not too surprised.

Those 3 digit displays use decimal points. Got there 1st again.

General info:
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Binary math
Worksheet Numeration systems
Video Lecture Binary Conversion - Converting Binary to Decimal - Digital
Video Lecture Digital Concepts & Terms - Digital
Textbook Negative binary numbers : Binary Arithmetic
Textbook Decimal versus binary numeration : Numeration Systems
Textbook Octal and hexadecimal to decimal conversion : Numeration Systems