Fireworks sequencer

robbar891

Joined Mar 22, 2011
Sorry... I'm looking for some ideas on components that could make this happen and maybe some basic wiring to get my head around the project.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Make what happen? The only thing you've told us is that the model in your link doesn't meet with your requirements. We still don't know what that is though.

robbar891

Joined Mar 22, 2011
Sorry for being a newbie.... I'm looking at making a sequencer similuar to the one in the link. i was thinking of using a 555 as the timer but don't know how to use it to have different time intervals between switching.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Try describing your vision. You want a safety key? Along with the safety key, you want a simple push button, or a plastic cover that has to be flipped open to either switch it or push it?

How many sequences are you thinking of? 10, 20, 25? Do you want it to sequence through at a fixed rate, or do you need some times longer than others. Do you want an LED lite on each step showing where it is in the sequence?

This is the kind of information (and more) we are asking for.

I am clueless as to the firing mechanism you guys use. I used to play with model rockets, which used a short nichrome wire that glowed when current was applies, but I suspect you use something a bit safer and more reliable.

The other question I have is the sequencer itself, why is it preferred over the line of nails and probe I've seen used on science shows on TV?

We are working on 25 step sequencers printed circuit boards (you can have more sequences, but no one has designed it yet). The speed of the clock is fixed, but under your control (by fixed I'm referring to 1 step / second).

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
We are working on 25 step sequencers printed circuit boards (you can have more sequences, but no one has designed it yet). The speed of the clock is fixed, but under your control (by fixed I'm referring to 1 step / second).
This was a cool idea. Using the 25 open LED sequencer to ignite fireworks... Gives me something to think about when the autumn is here.:rolleyes:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It occurres I didn't exactly say what meant, 1 step/sec, or whatever you set the control at. It can be faster or slower.

robbar891

Joined Mar 22, 2011
My vision:- To have 10 output cues that fire 24v each
To have led lights for test & signal when firing
Input from external firing system 24v to start sequence
Be able to change the time between the 10 cues or have all cues fire
together or have the same delay between each one.
Be able to change the time by up down button on the unit

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Sounds to me like a job for a microcontroller :D
Other than that, I think it would be fairly difficult to do what you mentioned above. Programming is definitely something to look into. Is there a deadline?
Der Strom

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think you could accomplish most of this with a 555 timer and a divide-by-ten counter that advances with each tick of the timer. Plus transistors to drive each output channel.

What do you mean by "Be able to change the time by up down button on the unit"?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
No mention has been made so far of what type of fuze or "electric match" will be used, nor the current requirements to ignite said fuze/match or the duration that current needs to be applied to said fuze/match.

I generally do not feel very comfortable for a novice to undertake such projects, as pyrotechnic devices are by their very nature hazardous. Even if the system is designed and built properly, there still is a definite possibility of property damage and/or personal injury that may occur.

There will be a fair amount of complexity in such a system; and the more complex a given system is, the more likely it is to fail; perhaps catastrophically.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Check post #1, it was mentioned though the location of the post was not given. I guess it boils down to one question for the OP (original poster).

Do you do this for a living, a hobby, or are you brand new at it?

Since you only want 10 sequences you will need to build it. The 25 sequence board I have designed is not yet tested, and nerdugetta has a completed design that I think has been tested.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
To simply fire one set of fireworks after another, a 555 and a 4017 would probably work, but to adjust the space between "shots" is more difficult. If you wanted to simply press a button to fire off one, wait the desired time, press it again to fire off the next, etc., you could just use the 555 as a switch debouncer (monostable) and the 4017. This way, it would give a single pulse output to the 4017 for each press of the button. However, the way I understood it was that you wanted it fully-automated (you press the button once and just sit back and watch the fun :D ). Is this right?
Der Strom

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
robbar891, could you post a schematic as close to your desires as possible & then we can add the speed up- slow down, & salvo ckt. Maybe nerdegutta, could post his schematic which then could be modified to suit.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
nerdegutta, that posting was most considerate of you, but could you post just one of the transistor boards? Do not remember seeing TipRing's final schematic with corrections. Thanks.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Here you go.:)

One board is with 9 LED's, the other board is with 8 LEDs. The 8 LED board is made twice.

If needed, I can provide some pictures of the complete arrangement. I think i did leave some pictures in the 25 Open LED - thread....

*.sch files are in Eagle schematic format.

Attachments