Wireless control of a dimmer switch (without PIC)

NLDE

Joined Feb 11, 2011
Hi guys,
Can anyone help me or give me an idea to build an IR remote controlled dimmer switch? I already have a circuit but it is with a PIC. But I would like to build a circuit without a PIC. Does any one have any idea about this?
Please
thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You probably have a limited number of codes to transmit. Do you know what they are?

It might be possible to use a remote that sends a selection address to a set of Multiplexers. The code will load into a shift register and control the IR transmitter.

This will not be a slender hand-held device. You might want to use a CMOS-based logic family.

NLDE

Joined Feb 11, 2011
Basically, the remote controller needs to be able to on and off the dimmer and also control the light level of the bulb. (in any case I didn't mention, I need to use a bulb and control its' light level by the dimmer switch).
And yet, I can use a normal TV remote controller. My problem is how should I implement the IR receiver circuit to a normal dimmer switch circuit. (without using PIC)
Sorry if I got you wrong. But I thought your description is about the IR transmitter.
Thanks

As 'Beenthere' suggests you could decode with logic, counters and shift registers.

You could also buy a dedicated decoding chip although these are usually matched with a coding chip to give a spaciffic number of 'channels'.

You could even just use diferent freequencys and detect them with a filter or tuned circuit.

However having said all that your reference to a 'Normal' dimmir is a little more of an issue. There isnt any such thing ... There are so many variations it would be next to impossible to list them all.

As far as this board is concirned you probably won't get any advice about high voltage circuits, because it dangerous, and in adition to that interfacing witha simple phase cut dimmer designed to use a pot and a mechanical switch realy isnt a good idea.

There are many modules and dimmers available that accept a low voltage control signal to control a high voltage load, look at Vellerman or google push button dimmer, and these will be a far better choice to apply an IR project to.

Hope this helps
Al

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It doesn't have to be complicated at all.

You can use a one-shot as a pulse width discriminator. Send short pulse to make the light brighter and long pulses to make the light dimmer. A counter would keep track of how bright the light is supposed, the output of the counter driving a R-2R ladder network or other DAC. Of course the pulses would be used to modulate a higher frequency (such as 36 KHz) carrier.