Dazed and confused..

TwoPlusTwo

Joined Oct 14, 2010
Hi, I'm having trouble understanding this problem.

The voltage Va for the network below is -1 V. If it suddenly jumped to 20 V, what could have happened to the circuit structure?

Since the chapter introduces short and open circuits, I'm assuming it has something to do with that but I don't really understand the drawing. Is this supposed to be a branch of some larger network with some unknowns that I have to determine first?

Attachments

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
No, you do not need to determine any unknown.
You need to think what could have happened to 4K and 3K resistors to get Va equal 20V

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Label the resistors Ra, Rb, And Rc. What happens to the voltage at point a when any one of them changes? Do you know how a voltage divider works? That the voltage sources will cause currents in the resistors, and that those currents can be calculated to find the voltage dropped over each resistor?

TwoPlusTwo

Joined Oct 14, 2010
Label the resistors Ra, Rb, And Rc. What happens to the voltage at point a when any one of them changes? Do you know how a voltage divider works? That the voltage sources will cause currents in the resistors, and that those currents can be calculated to find the voltage dropped over each resistor?
Ok, how is this?

Total voltage=20 V - 4 V=16 V

Current=16 V/(4+3+1)kΩ=2mA

U1=2mA*4kΩ=8 V

U2=2mA*3kΩ=6 V

U3=2mA*1kΩ=2 V

TwoPlusTwo

Joined Oct 14, 2010
I still don't understand why Va has to be -1 V in this configuration. But if I were to guess at a solution to the original problem it would be that Va has jumped from -1 V to 20 V because the 4k and 3k resistors have been shorted out. Does that make sense?

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
I still don't understand why Va has to be -1 V in this configuration.
Becaues Va voltage in not a voltage drop across 1K resistor.
Va is a voltage between Va and GND.

But if I were to guess at a solution to the original
problem it would be that Va has jumped from -1 V to 20 V because the 4k and 3k resistors have been shorted out. Does that make sense?
Yes, you right

Attachments

addousas

Joined Jul 15, 2010
Twoplustwo dont let the change of schematics throw you off. Think of this as a branch of huge circuit that you are inspecting in a lab. You have a branch that has these resistor in series and the voltages you have (20v,-1v,-4v) you have attained using a voltmeter.
the voltage drop over (4k+3k) is simply 20-(-1) =21v =>21v/(7k)=3mA
the voltage drop over (4k+3k+1k) is simply 20-(-4)=24v=>24v/8k=3mA