All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 AM

Exclamation Negative DC to Positive DC Converter

Hi,

I need a circuit for converting -48V DC to 24V DC capable of 1.5A output.
I search the net for a while but nothing found. Can you guys help me out.

Thanks,
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Welcome to the forum. Have you considered a buck-boost converter? If you look around, you will find that they are usually drawn to show a positive input and a negative output voltage, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck-boost_converter.

To get a negative input converted to a positive output, there is actually no difference except where your common earth is, so simply swap the polarity of the input and the diode.

How experienced are you in electronics?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 AM

Default Thanks

RmACK, Thanks for u reply.

I looked into buck-boost converter. Its seems to solve my problem!

But could you suggest any IC with my required Input and Output range?

I just now finished my B.E.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Hi cackharot,

The large voltages relative to the max allowed by many PWM chips is an issue I foresaw in implementing the control for a buck-boost for this task. Personally, I would look at deriving a power rail between your ground and -48V say at around -12V, using a zener or a 3 terminal linear regulator to power your PWM chip. I'd probably just go for a TL494 since they're so simple to use, very forgiving and have uncommitted transistor outputs which can simplify level shifting.

Then there just 2 considerations: feedback and drive.
-For the feedback, I would put a resistor divider between the +24V output and the -12V rail such that its output is within the common mode range of your PWM chip's error amplifiers. Then it's a case of going through the typical design steps for your feedback network to ensure it responds appropriately to changes in load but not to its own output ripple.

-For the drive, I would configure the 494's transistors to pull down the base of a pnp bjt whose emitter is tied to ground. Its collector would pull up the gate of the MOSFET, thus performing your level shifting. You would need to of course limit the base current of the bjt (and provide it a pullup resistor), as well as limit the gate voltage on the MOSFET and provide the MOSFET with a pull-down resistor. You could even incorporate the pulldown into your voltage limiting.

That would be my general approach, but it is only but one of many ways you could do it.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 AM

Thanks RmACK!,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RmACK View Post
I would look at deriving a power rail between your ground and -48V say at around -12V, using a zener or a 3 terminal linear regulator to power your PWM chip.
Could you please this explain a bit more...
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cackharot View Post
Hi,

I need a circuit for converting -48V DC to 24V DC capable of 1.5A output.
I search the net for a while but nothing found. Can you guys help me out.

Thanks,
-48 volt is the telephone line voltage. I hope you do NOT waste time believing that you can take 1.5 A from a telephone line. The only outcome will be that your telephone line will be disconnected and some really grumpy people from the telephone company will knock on your door.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks RmACK!,
Could you please this explain a bit more...
I'll draw you a little schematic of what I mean after work. t06afre raises a very good point, what is your application?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 AM

Location: Oklahoma City, OK. Large enough to be modern but plenty of country left around it.

Quote:
RmACK, Thanks for u reply.

I looked into buck-boost converter. Its seems to solve my problem!

But could you suggest any IC with my required Input and Output range?

I just now finished my B.E.
Try registering with http://www.national.com/analog and using their online designer.

Any reason the input has to be negative? Swap the wires.

By all means let us know what the app is and any other info you can provide.

And as mentioned above, you can not use a telephone line voltage for anything more than just a minor amount of current, then you've got the problem of the ringing voltage which can run upwards of 100V not to mention the fact that if you draw much of anything out of it it will send out a busy signal to anyone wanting to call you. There are ways around this using a tiny trickle to charge up a battery if you don't expect to draw much of anything over time.
I very often misspell or miss things while making posts so come back and double check a few times.
I also have a full time job and often 10 projects going on at the same time so I'm not always online.

Last edited by marshallf3; 02-03-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:44 AM

Its not a telephone line application.

Actually I've a requirement of designing two power suppliers one will get input from 240V AC 50Hz and another is -48V DC. As far as -48V DC they didn't provide me more information. So I've no clue where they ll get that -48V DC.

Here is my Power Design spec. So you can help me better

1) I/P: -48V DC and 240V AC, 50Hz
2) Output
a) 24V DC at 1.5A
b) 5V, 3.3V for my embedded system operation < 1A
c) -48V DC if the input is 240V AC.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:51 AM

Location: Oklahoma City, OK. Large enough to be modern but plenty of country left around it.

That is a mystery but certainly not unsolvable.

Any circuit to share? I'd love to see this one.
I very often misspell or miss things while making posts so come back and double check a few times.
I also have a full time job and often 10 projects going on at the same time so I'm not always online.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Video Lecture Miscellaneous Diode Applications - Diodes and Diode Circuits
Video Lecture Power Supplies - Applications - Diodes and Diode Circuits
Video Lecture Generation of Alternating Voltage - Alternating Current
Textbook Feedback : Bipolar Junction Transistors
Textbook Wiring Color Codes : Color Codes
Textbook Clamper circuits : Diodes And Rectifiers
Textbook Clipper circuits : Diodes And Rectifiers