All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > The Projects Forum

Notices

The Projects Forum Working on an electronics project and would like some suggestions, help or critiques? If you would like to comment or assist others with their projects, this is the place to do it.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Default I need a circuit for rc car transmitter and reciever

So in my school there is a science fair and I want to build an rc car. I got everything figured out exept for transmitter and the receiver. Can someone post a link or something that tells you how to make transmitter and receiver. I want my car to go forwards, backwards, right and left and also have different lights. so its like 6-8 different commands or I don't know what they are called. It is my first time building an rc car so please help
Old 01-25-2011, 03:55 PM

http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/cou...air/RCcar.html
Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM

a couple years back I built a remote controllable "annoyatron" that I could use to emit shrill beeps, flash lights, etc. it could even be connected to a PC to powerup or shut it down if I wanted.

I used a kit I got from rentron.com which included everything I needed for a 4 button remote control, and a 4 output receiver.
http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/R8_4BIT.htm
this includes the tws-43a4 transmitter module, RWS-434 receiver module and all sorts of other bits needed for the circuit.

datasheet here: http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/R-8Px.pdf

I designed and etched my own PCB for the compact controller with a home PCB etching kit, and packed it into a small box little larger than a 9v battery.

here is the front view of the remote control and the receiver on the proto board in the background. I installed an off switch into the remote, and an LED to indicate when it was transmitting.

in my prototype I have the four outputs of the receiver connected to drive two leds and two different speakers. each button operated a different thing. you could do a similar design with the 4 buttons representing forward, backward, left and right.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyphenomenon For This Useful Post:
absf (12-28-2012)
Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 PM

for the price, 25.00 might seem steep. especially when you could just go find one of those matchbox sized rechargable RC cars and take one apart. the operation of them is quite simple. the motor goes forward and backward at one speed, and the left and right signals tell a coil to energize positive or netative, which pulls the coil towards magnets on the left or right there by steering the wheels either way.

I applied this exact principal in a remote controller airplane project I worked on as well.

I harvested the parts from this old RC toy and used them for my plane.

Here it is charging on the stand.

charging the planes battery from the remote control with a piece of wire extension.

once I was finished, I founf that the plan worked perfectly well while mounted on the bench. but unfortunately, it flew almost exactly like a brick does. so in this next photo, I put the plane on stand on top of my speaker, took a photo, and then digitally deleted the stand. For full effect I had my helper Jason to form a ducking pose.

not bad for an afternoons experimenting with RC gismos.

Anyway. I hope that my posts were inspiring at least. dont be afraid to start tinkering.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyphenomenon For This Useful Post:
absf (12-28-2012)
Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to MITCH electronics Send a message via MSN to MITCH electronics Send a message via Skype™ to MITCH electronics

Hahaha you have a record player, they are sooo yesterday XD
I still have tapes though :P

First image, did you cut your finger?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 PM

Yeah, I have two turntables. (and a microphone) as well as something over 400 records. I have sworn off CD's. if I really like a band or an album, I look for it on vinyl.

as for the finger, funn you you noticed that. as I recall, in the process of cutting apart the RC car I anihilated my fingertip. in all of those project pics I am gingerly holding that finger away from the action. and in thei picture below, you can see how Ive used krazy glue to hold it together.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 PM

back on topic, to the original poster, if you happen to cut apart an RC car for your project, please USE CAUTION! learn from the mistakes of others because making them all yourself will be painful!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM
E-book Developer

Another possibility to consider would be to hack one of the newer generations of remote controlled, axial twin-blade helicopters. With these toys, the RC is by infrared (pulse code) and is similar to the coding used in the link by kermit2 (above).

I got one on clearance for $14 a couple of weeks ago. That included everything, transmitter, receiver, three motors, some useful gears, a small LiPo battery and charger. You needed 8 AA batteries for the Tx. It was only 3 channel. Sometimes with a little electronic digging, you will find the additional channels that just aren't utilized.

The device was entirely controlled by motor speed, not position. In other words, it didn't have servos. Steering in a car could be by differential speed rather than turning the front wheels.

How much time do you have for this project? Where are you (US, Canada, UK, etc.)? Do you have access to any electronic tools?

John
Old 01-25-2011, 07:23 PM

Tnx but i need to make everything out of scratch. I have 2 month to do this and i want to have steering right and left and i want it to go backwards and forwards. i already have 3 motors and i could buy parts from radio shack. I also want to make headlights and maybe make it solar and on batteries. Im still not sure how to make it go right and left, and i dont know how to make transmitter and reciever.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM
E-book Developer

What do you mean by "make from scratch." Are you willing to go back to the Big Bang for your starting materials?

No one makes anything completely from scratch. Tx and Rx modules are available. Can you use them? What about servos: are you allowed to used them? Etc. Please give some indication of what you can and cannot use.

From what you have said, there is no way you are going to be able to design, build, and test a complete 6-channel radio controlled car in 2 months. For starters, what frequency do you plan to use?

Is this a science fair or a show and tell? What will making an RC car show as to your ability to design and conduct a scientific experiment?

John
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Digital communication
Worksheet Signal modulation
Worksheet Design Project: Radio transmitter
Worksheet Oscillator circuits
Worksheet Fundamentals of radio communication
Worksheet Passive filter circuits