\(
y(x) = \frac{1}{(b-ax)}
f(z) = \frac{1}{(z)}
z(x) = b-ax
f'(z) = \frac{1}{z^2}
z'(x) = -a
y'(x) = \frac{-a}{(b-ax)^2}

\)

Could someone shed some light on this problem. It has to do with whether or not b-ax is seen as a composite function which I do not believe it is and as such the first derivation would be correct but if it is a composite function then the chain rule needs to be applied.

I am not using the quotient rule since the top part is not a function of x.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Since the first derivation has errors in algebra it is unlikely to be correct. The second derivation appears to be correct. I am curious as to why you think (b - ax) is not a composite function.

kokkie_d

Joined Jan 12, 2009
Hi,

The first derivation I am just saying that I can break up a fraction thus not composite?
What am I doing wrong in algebra in derivation 1?

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Put some numbers in for the symbols and see where equality breaks down. You should be able to discover the problems for yourself. Remember, the algebraic relations should be true for all numbers that don't make the denominator vanish.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi,

The first derivation I am just saying that I can break up a fraction thus not composite?
What am I doing wrong in algebra in derivation 1?
In the third step you apply the -1 exponent to both b and ax and this is not correct.

(b-ax)^-1 ≠ b^-1 - a^-1x^-1

Let b=2, a=3, & x=4

The expression on the right evaluates to -(1/10) while the expression the right evaluates to 5/12. When it comes to counter examples all I need is one!

I'm not sure what you mean by breaking up a fraction, but whatever you were thinking the result was incorrect.

You could also have used the division rule, whereby
Rich (BB code):
d(u/v) = (vdu - udv) / (v^2)
  =((b-ax)(0) - (1)(-a)) / (b-ax)^2
  = a / (b-ax)^2
This is different than your second result. You missed a minus sign due to the negative exponent that you started with.

Rich (BB code):
d(z^-1) = -z^-2
d(-z^-2) = 2z^-3
and so on

Last edited: