Pack your bags, we're moving!

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi all,

I'm very excited to say I just placed an order for our new machine!

The goods:

2.8GHz Intel Xeon Lynnfield X3460
8GB DDR2
2 x 500GB SAS RAID 1
10TB (10,000GB) Transfer / 100Mbps Port
64-bit CentOS
The box will be hosted in Tampa, Florida.

I gain access to it tomorrow. I'm back to school & work, so I'll be working at night configuring the server throughout the week. The plan will be to shutdown the forums and transfer all of the data either early Saturday or early Sunday morning. Hiccups are always a possibility, but that is the tentative plan!

I will keep everyone updated!

Rob

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi all,

I'm very excited to say I just placed an order for our new machine!

The goods:
2.8GHz Intel Xeon Lynnfield X3460
8GB DDR2
2 x 500GB SAS RAID 1
10TB (10,000GB) Transfer / 100Mbps Port
64-bit CentOS
The box will be hosted in Tampa, Florida.

I gain access to it tomorrow. I'm back to school & work, so I'll be working at night configuring the server throughout the week. The plan will be to shutdown the forums and transfer all of the data either early Saturday or early Sunday morning. Hiccups are always a possibility, but that is the tentative plan!

I will keep everyone updated!

Rob
Nice!

Looking forward to enter the new hardware. :D

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Sweet!

It is awfully kind of you to provide this service, and enhance it, for FREE! I know how much work/time goes into setting up and maintaining a heavily hit forum. I'm suprised there aren't donations here. AdSense must be paying well.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
.....I dont like the sounds of this....

...I FEAR change....

Thats why I have been wearing the same underwear since high school ;)

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
.....I dont like the sounds of this....

...I FEAR change....

Thats why I have been wearing the same underwear since high school ;)
What does your President say about change...?

I shower with my underwear each other day for a week. Then I turn it inside out, and do it again... Saves me a lot.:D

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Sago networks? Thats the only datacenter I know. If its not SAGO I would say your probably going through a reseller thats reselling for SAGO. Plus they have like 5 diesel generators that are about 10ft x 10 ft x 35ft. The only issue is if Tampa ever takes a hurricane hit its gonna totally wipe out tampa, SAGO and all.

In any case I'm curious who you went with.
Renting from Hivelocity.net - It's my understanding that they rent space within Sago.

Why the move? I can guess, but I'd like to hear it from jrap.
The current provider, while I have had nothing but a good experience dealing with them, simply can't beat the specs/price that hivelocity is offering..

Rob

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hey Rob,

Thanks for keeping everyone up to date on this. Having experienced our moves over the years I have full confidence it will going as smooth as possible. Really looking forward to the move!

I remember the speed-kick we got from the last upgrade but the levels of traffic these days neccessitate better hardware: 7million unique visitors and over 30million pageviews last year for those that are interested.

Dave

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Hey Rob,

Thanks for keeping everyone up to date on this. Having experienced our moves over the years I have full confidence it will going as smooth as possible. Really looking forward to the move!

I remember the speed-kick we got from the last upgrade but the levels of traffic these days neccessitate better hardware: 7million unique visitors and over 30million pageviews last year for those that are interested.

Dave
I would like to know AACs birthday.

It sent me birthday wishes, It is only right that I be able to do the same ;)

But, I cannot seem to find the inception date. Or "First Boot" date ;)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I would like to know AACs birthday.

It sent me birthday wishes, It is only right that I be able to do the same ;)

But, I cannot seem to find the inception date. Or "First Boot" date ;)
For some reason I've got 12th May 2003 stuck in my head. Web Archive dates us back to 25th May 2003. The forums went live later that year.

Either way we're 8 years old this year :)

Dave