All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > Homework Help

Notices

Homework Help Stuck on a textbook question or coursework? Cramming for a test and need help understanding something? Post your questions and attempts here and let others help.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:09 PM

Default moving coil meter - please help

God this makes me look thick!
What would happen if a moving coil meter with fsd of 10mA had a 1A circuit momentarily connected to it? I'm not sure of this or the suitabilty of such action
Old 01-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

That's 100 times fsd, so it would attempt to move to a point 100 times farther than fsd. Well, not really. It would simply move very hard and fast to wherever the magnetic fields become parallel

Mechanical stops (the little peg) would prevent this, of course. This is colloquially known as "pegging the meter."

Now... if we assume that the meter coil can handle 120% to 200% of fsd current - what happens when we send 10,000% fsd current through said coil?
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday

Last edited by thingmaker3; 01-17-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:41 PM

I'm thinking it would blow the meter
Old 01-17-2007, 07:23 PM

Hi,

A quick application might not. The pointer should make a loud tick against the stop. I'd want to check response afterward.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

"Blowing the meter" typically means burning off the insulation from the coil. How hot the coil needs to be for this to happen depends on what type of insulating varnish is used. (They have different ratings.) How fast the wire gets to the bad temperature depends on how much current goes through it, how big around it is, and what the ambient temperature is.

How many seconds in "momentarily" or "quick?"
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 01-18-2007, 12:59 AM

Hi,

Actually, there's another aspect to "blowing the meter". I got one wet and, thinking it was low pressure, tried to blow the water out with an air hose. The air pressure blew the coil into a long knot. Didn't hurt the coil, though.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Ammeter design
Worksheet Voltmeter design