New marker for traces before etching

bkochis

Joined Aug 5, 2010
Just wanted to let everyone know I tried a Pilot Silver Marker, Extra Fine Point to touch up some traces before etching a board with the peroxide/acid method.

This marker can be found at Staples for $3 and is located with all of the other markers. (In my store it was on the right hand side on the last set of hooks). Interesting that I was NOT able to find this marker at their website.

The extra fine point worked well. I touched up traces that were .012" without a problem. I baked the board for 15 minutes at 150° F. Then immediately etched the board.

You will need paint thinner to remove your work, acetone was not effective.

Hope it saves you some grief!

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I find the Edding 400 and 404 markers excellent. The 404 is fairly fine and they have good etch resistance. You can also replace the tips and refill the ink.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I have been using the industrial Sharpie. I have no complants.

If I need a particularly fine trace, I use a stencil.

But, its always good to have a backup brand. Thanks!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I've used Staedtler Lumocolor pens for touch-ups prior to etching. The reds seem to work the best, but their CD-R pen works OK in a pinch.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Years (and I mean a ton of them) ago I noticed that red India ink worked better than black for touch up.
I haven't a clue why, unless it has to do with black being mainly carbon granules.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You know what... I wonder if that Henna ink would work good as a resist..

Supposedly after years of death, the henna tattoos are still quite visible. Even after the skin has turned to dust.

I wonder if that is a acidic resistive property or just a preservative property.

Ill have to try a little date stamp with it on my next board. My hippie sister has tons of it. Well If I see her before my next etching. ;)