All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > Homework Help

Notices

Homework Help Stuck on a textbook question or coursework? Cramming for a test and need help understanding something? Post your questions and attempts here and let others help.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:43 PM

Default BJT Simulation in PSpice

Hi,

I have to simulate a bipolar junction transistor in PSpice and investigate its behaviour. One of the things I have to investigate is the BJT with a base current bias. The circuit I am simulating in PSpice is attached. What I'm trying to do is plot the base current (Ic) vs the voltage across the collector and the emitter (Vce). The graph I get below is when I simulate using a DC sweep through the voltage source from 0V to 10V with a 1V increment. However, this is different to those I see in textbooks, which is a steep increasing curve, which then starts to flatten out past around 0.7V. Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks a lot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bjt_circuit.jpg (9.4 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg bjt_graph.jpg (37.5 KB, 196 views)
Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 PM

Star,

Look at your scaling, the linear scale looks much different than the log scale.

See attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graph.jpg (20.7 KB, 174 views)
Old 12-18-2006, 03:45 PM

Is it Ic or Ib? You wrote base current but also wrote Ic.

If you are looking for something like transfer curves, then you need to revise your test circuit a little bit.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Joe, I noticed the difference with the log scale too, but the other graphs from textbooks I've been comparing against have linear scales. One example of such graphs is attached, taken from 'Solid State Electronic Devices' by B.Streetman. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my circuit or simulation profile.

n9352527, sorry about the mistake. I meant collector current (Ic). What are transfer curves?
Attached Images
File Type: gif bjt_graph2.GIF (13.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 PM

Sorry, I meant a characteristic curves, as illustrated on this page http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/4.html, (Ic vs Vce for different Ib).
Old 12-18-2006, 05:37 PM

I've seen the example curves that you attached. We are talking about the same thing. To measure the Ic, you have to set the Ib to a constant value (use a current source) and then sweep the Vce (DC source). No resistors are needed in series with base and collector. Then, read the Ic value for each sweep.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:22 PM

Yes! That is what I'm trying to get. When I tried your circuit with the current source, the characteristic curves are what I expect them to be. However, my problem is that the circuit I have been given involves the two resistors Rb and Rc, both connected across the top to Vcc, so I have to use the resistors. The original circuit doesn't actually show the Vcc grounded at the other end - I'm just assuming that. I've just realised that if I sweep the DC source, and keep the resistor value constant, then I effectively vary Ib, which perhaps explains why I'm not getting the curve I want at the moment. How would I get the same characteristic curve with the resistors?

Btw, thanks a lot for your help so far.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:36 AM

To get a constant Ib, you could either use a current source (easier, since the current value is fixed to whatever you set it to), or you could use a voltage source with a series resistance Rb (you need to calculate Ib as (Vsrc_b - Vbe)/Rb).

Setting up a constant Vce, which is necessary to obtain the characteristic curves, is not going to be possible, I think, with a series resistance Rc. Because the voltage drop across Rc will vary with Ic and Vce = Vsrc_c - IcRc.

Are you sure you were asked to obtain the characteristic curves with that given circuit?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:02 PM

I think I have managed to crack this thing by using the fixed voltage source in series with a resistor (see attached Fig1). In the simulation, V1 is kept constand and a DC sweep is performed through Vcc. A parametric sweep through Rb is performed to observe the characteristic curves of the BJT with different Ib. Do you think that's close enough to the circuit I was given originally in Fig2?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fig1.jpg (12.8 KB, 138 views)
File Type: gif Fig2.GIF (3.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 12-09-2007, 08:58 PM

Star,
Are you by any chance a EEE first year in Imperial College London???? i am doing exactly the same thing
If you are looking for Ib vs Vce characteristic do the following:
sweep Rc from 5 to 80k and use secondary sweep and enter a value list for Rb using 10k,20k,30k,40k if u want more go ahead.
Then add Ic as a trace and change your axis variable to V(Q:c). You will get a really nice graph!

Last edited by VVS; 12-09-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet BJT amplifier troubleshooting
Worksheet Bipolar junction transistor theory
Textbook Circuit components : Using The spice Circuit Simulation Program
Textbook Active-mode operation : Junction Field-effect Transistors
Textbook Biasing techniques : Bipolar Junction Transistors
Textbook The common-base amplifier : Bipolar Junction Transistors
Textbook The common-emitter amplifier : Bipolar Junction Transistors