All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:41 PM

Default check resistors and capacitors

can any one explain me how to check resistors and capasitors by digital meter.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Resistors are easy. Set meter to read resistance. Place one each meter lead on one each resistor lead. Adjust scale.

To check a capacitor for short, set meter on highest resistance scale. Place one each meter lead on one each capacitor lead. Meter reading should increase to "overscale" if the capacitor is not short. (I prefer old-fashion analog meters for this check.)

To check the value of a capacitor, one will need either an external device or a very expensive digital meter.
"I want to establish in your mind very clearly that you must not think I deny all that I do not admit. On the contrary, I think there are many things which may be true, and which I shall receive as such hereafter, though I do not as yet receive them; but that is not because there is any proof to the contrary, but that the proof in the affirmative is not yet sufficient for me"
- Michael Faraday
Old 12-19-2006, 03:26 AM

I am a newbie so please be patient to help me.thank you.
I want to test a resistor's resistance fixed on a mobile phone.
To check resistance should i remove it from the phone or can i check it onboard with power on or off.Can you guide me with pic?.
Please explain me.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:23 PM

Hi,

It's often impossible to check a component in circuit. With surface-mount, it's also hard to know what the value of the device is as well.

Unless you have the equipment and expertise to remove suspect components from your cell phone, you're more likely to do harm than find a problem. Unless the device is obviously burned or discolored, it's probably ok. Voltages and currents in cell phones are pretty small. The failure is more likely to be in a semiconductor or ic, or in a bad connection/connector.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 AM

thanks a lot for your help
Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 AM

beenthere can you tell me a ebook for learning about electornic servicing
Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Just curious, have you read the eBook here? It covers a lot of ground, and will give you a good start.

General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input. Thanks for the verbage Wookie.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Switched capacitor circuitry
Worksheet BJT amplifier troubleshooting
Worksheet Class A BJT amplifiers
Worksheet Time constant circuits
Worksheet Capacitors
Textbook Radio circuits -- INCOMPLETE : Practical Analog Semiconductor Circuits
Textbook Series resistor-capacitor circuits : Reactance And Impedance -- Capacitive
Textbook 555 ramp generator : Analog Integrated Circuits
Textbook 555 audio oscillator : Analog Integrated Circuits
Textbook Practical considerations : Capacitors