All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:45 PM

Default wiring a AC 120 v motor to make is reversable

Im trying to wire a 1/2hp 120v Harbour Freight motor to a dpdt switch to make the motor reversable on a draw bench Im constructing. The motor has 4 wires black red orange and white. http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...6999/36549.PDF

Last edited by drinkr; 08-07-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: add link
Old 08-07-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkr View Post
Im trying to wire a 1/2hp 120v Harbour Freight motor to a dpdt switch to make the motor reversable on a draw bench Im constructing. The motor has 4 wires black red orange and white.

Not all single phase motors are reversible (without completely rewiring internally) If your motor is, it will usually state that on the "name plate", where the specifications are. Also inside the wiring cover plate it will show the wire connections for each direction.

Most motors sold for, "compressor duty" at Harbor Freight are not reversible. This is why they can sell them so cheap.

But after looking at your manual, this one can be reversed. Go to; http://en.allexperts.com/q/Electric-...witch-110V.htm It will give a explaination on how to do it.

Last edited by shortbus; 08-07-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:06 PM

this motor is reversible. I modified my post to add the manual. I can change direction by changing the black and red wires
Old 08-07-2010, 04:15 PM

Im not sure if I understand yet. I wanted to use the motor both forward and reverse with a dpdt switch. Is this possible
Old 08-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Can't anyone look at the attached PDF for the motor wiring???? Instead of speculations and theories, it is much better to provide an actual solution for the OP's question.... which is pretty simple if anyone bothered to look at the motor specs....

DPDT AC Motor Reverse.png

In the above circuit, the motor will be rotating counter clockwise when Relay is not energized, once the relay is energized, then the motor will spin clockwise.... Just remember to have to motor power off, and the motor needs to be at a complete stop before switching rotation direction, if you try to switch the rotation while the motor is spinning or powered up, it will just continue to go in the same direction and WILL NOT switch directions.

The same wiring can apply to a DPDT switch since the illustration shows a DPDT relay, just connect the same connections to your switches NO, and NC connections....

B. Morse
Disclaimer: The example programs,circuits, projects and information I provide or post on this web site are for educational purposes only. By copying anything from this site posted by me, you agree to the "as is" nature of the programs, circuits, information and to the statements listed in this disclaimer.No warranty or liability is expressed or implied. Working with AC /DC voltages can be dangerous and even deadly. Proceed at your own risk!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:24 PM

Default BMorse

would it be possible for you do send the same kind of drawing for a DPDT switch? Im a novice in these type of things. Thanks in advance
Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Sure, like I said the connections are the same,

DPDT AC MOTOR REVERSE SWITCH.png

B. Morse
Disclaimer: The example programs,circuits, projects and information I provide or post on this web site are for educational purposes only. By copying anything from this site posted by me, you agree to the "as is" nature of the programs, circuits, information and to the statements listed in this disclaimer.No warranty or liability is expressed or implied. Working with AC /DC voltages can be dangerous and even deadly. Proceed at your own risk!

Last edited by BMorse; 08-08-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: edited schematic to show main power switch
Old 08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
E-book Developer

Let me re-emphasize BMorse's suggestion. It is rare to find a 110V single-phase motor that is instantly reversible. That is, if the armature is still turning, and you throw the DPDT switch, there is a very high likelihood that the motor will continue running in the same direction.

I suggest a DPDT center off switch. ALWAYS pause at the off position until the motor stops rotation before going to reverse. Special switches are made that have a lock out to ensure a stop, but if you are the only user, you can probably get by without the lock out.

John
Old 08-08-2010, 12:13 AM

jpanhalt is right, I want to emphasize that the drawing submitted here for guidance requires the AC mains to have a separate switch, which has to be switched off, and the motor/armature is at a complete stop before switching the DPDT switch to reverse direction...

B. Morse
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, , , ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Servo motor systems
Worksheet AC motor theory
Textbook Stepper motors : Ac Motors
Worksheet DC motor theory
Worksheet Kirchhoff's Laws
Textbook What is alternating current (AC)? : Basic Ac Theory
Textbook Induction motor, large : Ac Circuits