Somebody kindly help me out! ( 2.3" 7segment anode LED counter up)

cholay75

Joined Jul 22, 2010
Hi all,
I am new user. I need 4digit manual counter up 2.3" 7segment Led common anode. Any body kindly advice me some schematic. because I couldn't effort to buy ready made circuit out there and I really need it for very urgent. I do not have knowledge about electric. So Please kindly provide me very detail of it. Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
You want a 4 digit counter?

Manual increment, or some kind of external electronic trigger?

You can use a 4026 series IC.

This IC controls one display. You can then chain the counters together to get 4 displays.

You will need to be a little more specific.

cholay75

Joined Jul 22, 2010
I just need very simple manual counter up , up to 9999. and I have 4digit of common anode which has 2.3inch, 7 segment.could you help me up with diagram including ic no and parts no.
Thanks alots for your reply and help.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Do you want this timer to be based on discrete components or based on a microcontroller??

Here is one based on a microcontroller....

here is the hex file to program into the microcontroller.... (I had to change the extension to .txt to upload file on here, change it back to .hex once downloaded)
View attachment 3DigitCounter_hex.txt

B. Morse

Last edited:

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Depends on the clock frequency. No faster than about 1 million counts per second (4 MHz / 4 cycles per instruction), if you assume 100 cycles to do one count, that's 10,000 counts per second.

I wouldn't trust the circuit posted for keeping time. The ±1% error in the internal oscillator means every hour it loses or gains around 36 seconds. Over 99.99 seconds, the milliseconds would be completely useless, as they would be overwhelmed by the error of one second. You really need a bigger PIC, because the CLKIN/OUT is needed for a crystal, and they are being used for IO.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Have not tested it with any kind of "digital" input, I basically designed this more for a "human speed" trigger rather than electronic....

This counter maybe more suitable for some type of digital pulse input faster than human speed.... and it would not be that hard to expand the display to accommodate more digits...

Versatile Up_Down Counter.png

B. Morse

Attachments

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Depends on the clock frequency. No faster than about 1 million counts per second (4 MHz / 4 cycles per instruction), if you assume 100 cycles to do one count, that's 10,000 counts per second.

I wouldn't trust the circuit posted for keeping time. The ±1% error in the internal oscillator means every hour it loses or gains around 36 seconds. Over 99.99 seconds, the milliseconds would be completely useless, as they would be overwhelmed by the error of one second. You really need a bigger PIC, because the CLKIN/OUT is needed for a crystal, and they are being used for IO.

Bill was asking about the counter part, not the timer;)... but you are right, this will not be that accurate as a timer, but works well as a manual input counter....

cholay75

Joined Jul 22, 2010
Thanks to every body,
I do have some circuit, but it could not display for 2.3" common anode led.
The voltage or ampere is not enough to lit the led. And I found this circuit but i do not have the IC No. Parts No. and circuit diagram. I have another circuit which is counter up for 4bit. but it is could not drive to 2.3" Led. And I do not want to use micro-controller and I only want is manual type.
Thanks for your helps.

Attachments

cholay75

Joined Jul 22, 2010
here is the circuit that i tested. and display small 7segment led. it could not run 2.3" led. and I really need urgent. It may be upgradeable.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
You could also invert the outputs by using the proper transistor translator circuit (or even MOSFET's)in between to drive the LED displays with higher current...

B. Morse

cholay75

Joined Jul 22, 2010
could you advice which transistors should i implant. and where? I think mosfet is better solution. but i just don't know how to put that switch. Thanks.